Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
droozhok
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

Here is something I cannot figure out by myself. I use a number of Pro4 cameras and a SmartHub VMB4540 to store video. Cameras are connected to the hub and hub itself is connected to ethernet. 

During the network equipment (media server, internet router, Arlo hub etc) relocation recently cameras cannot reach the hub any more as it's too far away. Obviously cameras have wi-fi onboard, the hub is connected to the same network using ethernet cable and it would be perfect solution to use it for connection.

How can I force the cameras to use wi-fi to connect to SmartHub instead of direct connect? 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@droozhok wrote:

How can I force the cameras to use wi-fi to connect to SmartHub instead of direct connect? 

You can't. 

While many Arlo cameras can connect to your home wifi, you cannot connect them to the smarthub that way.

You can get get more smarthubs, and use them to expand coverage.  Note they do not form a mesh, you need to pair cameras to individual smarthubs.

droozhok
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's a really weird architecture...

I would like to have hub in more or less protected and hidden place and not in the centre of the house. Also, why it does not use wi-fi while having it on board?!

Seems like I need to migrate to something more usable and configurable.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@droozhok wrote:

That's a really weird architecture...

This is largely due to the product history, and I agree it needs to be updated.  

I've already suggested to Arlo that they should allow cameras to connect to the smarthub via home wifi, as that would allow you to take full advantage of mesh and also get local storage.  No idea what they will do with that suggestion though.

Of course if you have a subscription, you can just use your home wifi, and not use the base with the cameras that are out of range.