Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
thewurzel
Aspirant
Aspirant
this is the message i keep getting on the device page online 
Please make sure it is connected to the Internet. Visit support.arlo.com for help.

some careras are further away and are still connected 
i am getting fustrated with this 
i am using rechargable batteries. the cameras have the firmware updated. this only hapens with 2 out of my 5 cameras. i can change the batteries then i get this message again within a day or so.

any help would be aperciated thanks

Julian
78 REPLIES 78
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Another person recently tried my suggestion of moving the base station further away from the wifi router and it fixed their offline issue as well.

Mine has since been resolved and works flawlessly again too 🙂

SpiesLikeUs
Star
Star
My base is right next to my router so I will give it a shot over the holidays and report back. Thanks!
ac5
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue. It started about a month ago and I've done all the recommended fixes. It will work for a few days and than have the same problem. I wonder if it is a firmware isss with the most recent update.
SpiesLikeUs
Star
Star
Has others noticed your camera batteries get completely drained when your cameras lose connection to the base? I just replaced the batteries and once out of sync the batteries are dead within 2 days. I moved my base away from my router but now I need to buy more batteries! I was a huge Netgear fan but this is annoying.
SpiesLikeUs
Star
Star
I opened a support ticket and the rep had me change the Wi-Fi 2.4ghz channel on my router to either 6,9 or 11 so I chose 6. So far a week has past with no issues. It typically would take a couple of days to reproduce the issue. My original channel setting was automatic.
tonykeyser
Guide
Guide
I did the same thing, and chose a channel that was not being used by other wifi networks around me. Issue persisted. My cams worked fine and for months. Then all 3 just started draining batteries. Nothing changed.
Robo9x
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a solution for Arlo keeps going offline (even though battery is charged and router distance is good). In the mobile app select Mode -> base Station -> Scheduled. Add a schedule that Arms the station from 12am to 4am. Add another schedule that Arms the base from 4:05am to 8am. Continue adding 6 schedules (max) in total to cover a twenty four hour day. Basically this causes your base station to disarm for 5 minutes every four hours. This helps avoid unwanted disconnect which seemed to occur after some number of hours. Good luck everyone 🙂
steve_t
Master Master
Master

wrote:
I opened a support ticket and the rep had me change the Wi-Fi 2.4ghz channel on my router to either 6,9 or 11 so I chose 6. So far a week has past with no issues. It typically would take a couple of days to reproduce the issue. My original channel setting was automatic.

Great news. So it would seem the reason for the cameras going offline was wifi interference from your router

SpiesLikeUs
Star
Star
I tried numerous channels with no resolution.
It helped for a few days.
operasinger
Tutor
Tutor

I've read through these complaints and the tech's suggestions. I have 2 cams; one is fine, but the other continually goes offline and is very difficult to get back online. I've done everything suggested here. But as one person said, the only way to get it back is to take batteries out and reinsert them. But this gets very irritating. Why do I have to keep doing it?

I have an open ticket, and this has been one of my issues. I've done every suggestion made in this thread, but to no avail. Nothing makes this camera stop repeatedly going offline, and I'm getting really angry about this.

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just push to get your money back like I did.

Lets face it, they are never going to fix the issue or release the new hardware version with the fix in it. They will continue to placate people with false promises or make them run around in circles having you believe it's your fault. NEST don't have this problem so why should Netgear and they are WiFi also.

The simple fact is that they have an inherent poor quality product that they don't want to admit to.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

^ That's a pretty silly assertation when there's so many out there that don't have problems.

To @operasinger, I assume you've swapped cameras around to see if the issue follows the camera or the position? If so, what were the results? If not, do so. If it's the camera that's the problem, use your case to get a replacement - you have a warranty so use it.

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's fact, not assertion. nor silly.

Look, I've spent many many years dealing with Netgear (close to 20+), so I know exactly what they are like, I know just how bad their support is, (it took me six weeks to get them to replace a DOA router only last year) and that they've gotton so big and arrogant they can't see the wood for the trees (if you wan't proof of this simply scour the net for reviews of them as a company and I gurantee you will find plenty of instances to substantiate the position).

There are many factors than can explain why some user experiences are better than others, that will always be the case in manufacturing processes, due to quality control or lack of quality products. i.e cheap chinese wifi adapters/boards. lack of coding etc.

In my case, their own support team admitted to known issues in HW8 of the Arlo Pro (granted we are talking Arlo here) and I was actually initially advised to wait on the next release (I've covered this before in other threads) so they could replace my 'faulty ones' with the new version. But given they drove me insane and never actually progressed it at all, couldn't advise or commit to a date and luckily I ended up finding someone that I could talk to in Ireland that struggled also internally (and apoligised profusely at their lack of detail and ability) and even to this date they have no idea when it will be fixed or a new hardware version will be released, then I stand by my statement 110%.

SpiesLikeUs
Star
Star
Robo9x I will certainly give this a shot. How long has your cameras been working with no offline issues with this configuration? Many thanks!
txdreww
Tutor
Tutor

What I figured out with mine, if I leave them online, enabled, no issues.  What happens is I'll wash the car or something, so disable the trigger, mode->disarmed, then I forget for probably the rest of the day, that one camera seems to go into a deep sleep, never comes back.  That's why it failed so often when I put it by the base, because I had it disabled from the mode/trigger.  I never turned the camera off, via devices->camera on/off, but I think some change they made to the power management just puts some of these cameras into a deep sleep, can't get them back.  Now I've very aware when I disarm, and expect that camera to go offline if I leave it disarmed too long, else it works fine whenever it stays armed.  Maybe they'll figure that out or fix in a firmware update, that's probably all it is. 

Robo9x
Aspirant
Aspirant
@SpiesLikeUs Went from going offline daily to going offline about once a week. If the app would let me add more than 6 schedules I probably would have better results.
jazzb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, its been on going for months. Unit worked flawlessly for the first year. Now it disconnects one camera out of 4 all the time. It seems when it disconnects it destroys batteries when its in the LED flashing mode. 

I wish they would resolve this, because I hate having to log on to troubleshoot this system so often.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it could certainly be a hardware problem it's also possible that something changed relative to that camera and/or its position. First step is to swap cameras around to see if the issue follows the camera or stays with the position.

BC61
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just finished packaging my Arlo Pro 2 system for return.  Like many have already discovered, this system has an inherent flaw that causes the system to continually "go-off-line".  I've tried all the suggested ways and means to eliminate this problem, even a couple that I haven't seen suggested; however, much to my dismay, it would seem the issue is simply a matter of NETGEAR not being very interested in providing a reliable product.  That, in itself, amazes me.  For what they charge for this system, it should perform flawlessly, all day, every day.

Perusing the threads about this issue, it doesn't take long to realize that this system failure has been inherent for years with this product, and yet to date, no product upgrade, fix, solution, or improvement in anyway has been provided by NETGEAR.

So, bottom line, if NETGEAR isn't interested in improving this product, then I'm not interested in owning it.  It's absolutely useless, and for what it costs, only a fool would tolerate the aggravation.

Goodbye NETGEAR, hello ADT.

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BC61 wrote:

Just finished packaging my Arlo Pro 2 system for return.  Like many have already discovered, this system has an inherent flaw that causes the system to continually "go-off-line".  I've tried all the suggested ways and means to eliminate this problem, even a couple that I haven't seen suggested; however, much to my dismay, it would seem the issue is simply a matter of NETGEAR not being very interested in providing a reliable product.  That, in itself, amazes me.  For what they charge for this system, it should perform flawlessly, all day, every day.

Perusing the threads about this issue, it doesn't take long to realize that this system failure has been inherent for years with this product, and yet to date, no product upgrade, fix, solution, or improvement in anyway has been provided by NETGEAR.

So, bottom line, if NETGEAR isn't interested in improving this product, then I'm not interested in owning it.  It's absolutely useless, and for what it costs, only a fool would tolerate the aggravation.

Goodbye NETGEAR, hello ADT.

Sadly, this is part of them becoming so big that they actually no longer care.

I returned my Arlo's some time back for a refund due to this and other reasons. I'm now with NEST using their new outdoor IQ cams and had no problems whatsovever. 

I've also systematically started removing Netgear products from my home, and as I also work in IT, stopped recommending any Netgear products for the SOHO and small business type user. 

ozmale1
Star
Star

Having the same Problem.

My system worked flawlessly for over a year, good battery life, the lot.  Then there was a series of firmware updates now all my cameras periodically go off line (once a week) and like others have to remove and replace the batteries to get them back on line. Also is there is a blackout (lots in australia) none of the cameras come back online with battery removal again. As my Tech mate says "Never update firmware unless it gives you something you need". touble is with Arlo we dont seem the get a choice.

This is the 21st, you would expect it would not be hard to poll a device that should be connected, and keep trying till it connects.

I told a mate to buy this system.  His worked for 12 hours before the first camera lost connection. After reviewing these posts he took it back and got his money back. Sadly I look like a **bleep** head.

Any ideas what is a good replacement for this system ? 

RegieH
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. My Arlo always goes off line. This security camera is unreliable
dragonarm
Aspirant
Aspirant

My 4 camera system were working fine for a year or so and now one or more camera constantly get offline. When I log in from the web or from the app, they are constantly shown offline. I also not getting any alert to my email inbox, even the mode is setting to email, as it did a year ago. Didn't change any setting.

Was there a firmware update which automatically turn the systems to this?

I am using Arlo (not Pro, not Pro2).

The head unit firmware is 1.10.0.8_22190

All 4 camera firmware are 1.2.16720

Can someone verify? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dragonarm,

It sounds like your cameras are not maintaining a good connection with the base station. What does the signal strength indicator show in the camera widget in their current location? How far from the base station are the cameras and is there anything in between the camera and base that could be causing interference?

JamesC

txdreww
Tutor
Tutor

Mine still goes offline, never really resolved, just waiting to see if anyone figures it out.  Maybe the camera HW is defective, but I'm beyond the warranty now...