Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
trickytcamgeek
Luminary
Luminary

My latest problem is that I am getting the message “A paid Subscription is required to activate this device” for just one of my cameras.   It is the old first generation Arlo Camera, with a serial number starting “48B45”, and the hardware is described as “H7”.

I have read a number of similar threads (same problem), but the comments are closed on those threads.  As far as I can tell no solution was found.  

People have tried calling support.  It looks like support is based in the Philippines.  They seem to have no real contact with Arlo.  I’m not even sure support staff actually work for the company.  I suspect it is a call centre supporting multiple companies.  The probably have a crib sheet of things to try for each company.  

It appears that if they can’t solve a problem they can eventually send an email or message to Arlo itself, but, those emails are probably not even read, and in any case it seems people are not getting any promised call backs, or solutions.  

Having dealt with support myself, without success for other problems, I certainly agree with the impression that they operate from a crib-sheet of things to try “Remove the device from your account, Power-off, wait 60 seconds, Re-insert the batteries, turn the base station off and on, click on add new device, try the factory reset, etc”, and the final “bulldozer” solution of “Remove all devices devices from your account, Factory reset your base station, unplug and disconnect everything, remove all batteries, wait 5 minutes before re-connecting, start a new account with a new email address, try to install the cameras again, by clicking Add New Device,  try again and again..”

So here I am, faced with several problems that can’t be resolved even by the “bulldozer” solution above.

1) No way to not pay a subscription even if for accounts below 5 cameras.

2) If you remove a first generation Arlo camera, you will not be able to add it back, as adding a new camera only supports Essential, Pro, and Ultra cameras.

3) If you used the Web to access your cameras, this no longer works.  You land on a page asking you to pay a subscription.  After clicking on “View Cameras”, it asks you to login, and then immediately takes you back to the subscription page.  Clicking on “view cameras” just takes you around in the same circle.

As for the moderator here “Jessica” constantly writing “Can I direct message you to solve your problem”, don’t waste your time.  The stock replies sound like a robot.  If he/she/it had half a clue how to solve the problem, Jessica would have written it.  Most likely she sends a message to the USA asking them to take contact, based on the responses of other here, nothing is likely to happen.

I have been an Arlo Camera user for many years - certainly since long before they de-merged from Netgear about 4 years ago.   I have multiple camera systems set up in multiple locations.  I manage cameras for the owners of some locations, (sheds, gardens, store rooms etc).  Each location has its own account depending on who can access it.   In all there are 8 locations, 8 accounts, and 23 cameras in total.  No account has more than the free limit of five cameras.

I would probably have bought 50 to 60 cameras by now and would be using them across at least 20 locations and 20 accounts, if it was not for all the problems and lack of support from Arlo itself in the last 3 years.  There are a lot of frustrated and unhappy Arlo users here, and many more who never visited this forum.   That’s a lot of camera sales and recommendations that Arlo has missed.  Due to various Arlo camera problems, I have long ago stopped buying new Arlo cameras.

Arlo Technologies Inc has been struggling. Sales in 2021 were below those of 2017 (when it was owned by Netgear).   They have never made a profit since the de-merger from Netgear.  Some shops have stopped selling Arlo cameras.  The company pays no dividends.  The shares are down 70% since launch in 2018.  Poor service=poor sales=no profit.

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

1) No changes have been made to the number of legacy cameras allowed on an account. How many Arlo devices do you already have active before attempting to add the original Arlo camera?

2) You can still add original Arlo cameras. During the onboarding flow, select "Others" when prompted to select a model, and then select "Arlo" to add an original camera.

3) I've not been able to replicate what you've described. Try clearing your browser cache and then navigate to https://my.arlo.com/#/home to be sure you're on the correct login page.

JamesC