Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

When I sign into my Arlo I get a notice like this ( A newer version of Adobe Flash player is required) Please install here.

When I click on here it closes the screen and then reopens asking if I want to run flash.  Anyideas how to stop this?

13 REPLIES 13
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Nanlee wrote:

When I sign into my Arlo I get a notice like this ( A newer version of Adobe Flash player is required) Please install here.

Which browser?

Did you try a Search - Arlo Communities – adobe flash?

For example:

Solved: Re: Adobe message pops up every time I login throu... - Arlo Communities

There are many more where that came from.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
NJSS
Star
Star

I too get the message "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here."

I have installed the later version, but the problem persists.  I then uninstalled, rebooted the PC (Windows 10 patched to date) reinstalled Flash & the problem.

Why do you use Flash?  Surely decent progamers can write code which obviates this neccessity?

In the interim what please is the solution?  I was on the brink of buying two more cameras, during a 2 day discount window, but I am contemplating migrating elsewhere as this is clearly a problem which regularly manifests itself.

NJSS

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What browser are you using?

NJSS
Star
Star

Firefox Quantum 69.0 (64 bit) (Up to date)

NJSS

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Chrome operates as before. Firefox requires that you click on the "I" or lock icons to the left of the URL and disable Content Blocking.

NJSS
Star
Star

Many thanks...

Could you please expand & simplify your reply for a 77 year old who is struggling !

I have managed to find & install the new Android app.

Thanks in advance.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NJSS wrote:

Could you please expand & simplify your reply for a 77 year old who is struggling !

Just posted something here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Adobe-Flash-Player-Update-Failure/m-p/1722871#M61486

DB4Tim
Guide
Guide
  1. log into my.arlo.com
  2. click "live" on a camera.  
  3. When the flash update message appears, a new icon appears between the i and the padlock in the address bar.  Click on that icon, and choose allow flash.  The icon should then change color.
  4. click on the "x" on the flash update message to dismiss it.
  5. click "live" again and it should work.
NJSS
Star
Star

Historically Adobe’s Flash Player was one of the most widely used browser plugins on the internet.

However Flash has became notoriously known as the entry point for many a security breach. Backdoor malware installation, and data collection have found their ways onto many a PC thanks to the holes in Flash’s security.

HTML5 is more powerful, easier for developers to use, and is much safer than Flash, and the overwhelming majority of popular websites migrated over to HTML5 ages ago. To be fair, there are still parts of the internet that run on Flash, but most of these are legacy sites that never made the jump to HTML5.

Time for Arlo to ditch Flash, hopfully during the course of this month.

I am told that

If you’re running the most recently updated version of  decent browser, you shouldn’t have to manually install an Adobe Flash update as the browser will do so automatically, and from the proper source directly from Adobe. So if you’re being randomly prompted to download and install one, it’s a fake version of Adobe and likely carrying some form of malicious software.

Recent versions of this tactic have actually included legit versions of Adobe Flash alongside whatever malware they’re packing. This is simply an attempt to dupe users and divert attention from whatever’s being sneaked onto their PC, so don’t fall for it. The good news is that disabling Adobe Flash will close these security gaps and even prevent those fake ads from showing up in the first place, though additional ad blocking software may be necessary to snuff them out entirely.
dgf123
Guide
Guide

Arlo and net gear have horrible customer service so they probably wont fix this any time soon. But when you get that message look up at your address bar and notice a little box/icon before the https address that when the cursor is pointed at will say manage plug in use. If you click on that and then click allow you can view the camera. You will have to close the message box and then click the camera again and you must do this every time you open the Arlo app.

dgf123
Guide
Guide

Arlo and net gear have horrible customer service so they probably wont fix this any time soon. But when you get that message look up at your address bar and notice a little box/icon before the HTTPS address that when the cursor is pointed at will say manage plug in use. If you click on that and then click allow you can view the camera. You will have to close the message box and then click the camera again and you must do this every time you open the Arlo app.

n0jcf
Initiate
Initiate

Mozilla are moving fast to deprecate Flash.  It is now A LOT of extra steps to get it to work on Firefox 69 and later,

https://www.fxsitecompat.dev/en-CA/docs/2019/flash-player-can-no-longer-always-be-activated/

I require web portal access as I cannot always have my cellphone with me due to security reasons.  I hope Arlo do not abandon web portal access in favor of an app-only solution as this will preclude use by some of us accessing from secure facilities where phones and user installed apps (on desktop PCs) are not allowed.

sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice