Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
sgweb
Follower
Follower

I got the wired doorbell for the increase range detection.

I didn't realize it did not have a battery backup.  So if I loose power, I loose sight. 

It appears that my only options are (1) going wireless, 

or (2) , applying the 24ac to a battery backup instead, then transforming back to ac.  Sounds like a stupid solution. 

question: What will happen if we supply these things with 18VDC ? Are the rectifiers in half of the bridge capable of sinking the power it needs? Or will I see smoke?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sgweb wrote:

It appears that my only options are (1) going wireless, 

or (2) , applying the 24ac to a battery backup instead, then transforming back to ac. 

Well, there is an option (3).  You could connect a UPS to the high-voltage side of the transformer.  That would require a bit of wiring, but would keep the doorbell running through a power failure.

Note in all cases, you also need to make sure your home network (and arlo base(s) if you use them) are also protected by a UPS - otherwise you won't have solved the problem.  Even then there is still some risk that whatever killed your power might also have killed your internet.

@sgweb wrote:

question: What will happen if we supply these things with 18VDC ? Are the rectifiers in half of the bridge capable of sinking the power it needs? Or will I see smoke?

Never tried, but I think smoke is likely.  Either in the doorbell, or the chime, or both.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation