Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired Doorbell Goes Offline During Cold Weather

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Alberta_Clayton
Tutor
Tutor

I have the wired doorbell camera; it's been installed for two years now (Alberta, Canada). During both winters, it shuts off when the temperature drops (-25 C or colder). The only solution is to disconnect the wires, hit the reset button, then reconnect everything. Not terribly time consuming, but challenging in cold weather and pointless until the weather warms up. I would not buy this product again strictly due to its performance in the winter. 

If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to hearing them. 

8 REPLIES 8
LaMW
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not a direct fix but you could put a simple AC Timer or one of those programmable WiFi outlets on the AC power source for the doorbell and schedule it to do daily or more power cycling / reboots.  
Now if your power source is a doorbell transformer it the attic somewhere it would be a bit more challenging to install.   

Alberta_Clayton
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the tip! I'm curious though... wouldn't a programmable timer shut off the power daily and then force me to have to reset it manually each time? Or are you suggesting that powering it down and back up again will cause it to just come back online by itself? Like after a power outage? Interesting in theory at least! 

Alberta_Clayton
Tutor
Tutor

I should note... when it warmed up, the camera reset itself without me having to do any disconnection. So maybe it isn't as bad as I initially thought :S 

LaMW
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry took so long to get back to you, having problems logging back in here, even with a saved username/password.  I routinely clear my browser cache and cookies and it looks like they now have a heavy-handed browser approval protocol where I had to approve it via my iPhone Arlo App.

Anyway, after I made the post I remembered there's a battery that keeps the doorbell on when the power is removed, or bypassed by the button closure command, to ring an original doorbell some people may have powered in series with the Arlo Wired Doorbell.  So turning off the power to the Arlo for several seconds likely won't reset it.  I would have to be unpowered long enough to run the Arlo's internal battery down to in-effect reboot it (same benefit as your reset routine?)  I don't know how long that would be.

Alberta huh?  Love the Icefields Parkway drove it from near Banff to Jasper, been a couple of times.  Enjoyed it much more the first time when it was cloudy with occasional light rain because it enhanced the scenery.  The second time was during the BC fires and it was sunny and smokey in places, no rain, plus many more people on the road then.

Nunnoubeeswax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Am also having issue with my WIRED doorbell after the 2022 Christmas arctic blast.  First I kept getting tamper warnings (no one was out in that weather).  Then it went offline.  It is December 30 and it is still offline.  I've done the reset button.  Nothing.  I've reset the breaker.  Nothing.  Then I removed the device.  Can't get it back.

Complicating things I think is that I have a new phone.  To try to get logged in, Arlo is sending a message to my old phone which doesn't work (which is why I have a new phone).  And Arlo seems to have no interest in letting me talk to a live person. Feeling frustrated and screwed out of a wad of money.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nunnoubeeswax wrote:

Complicating things I think is that I have a new phone.  To try to get logged in, Arlo is sending a message to my old phone which doesn't work (which is why I have a new phone).  

Can you log into the app if you choose "don't trust"?

Ljerrett
Aspirant
Aspirant

My doorbell camera went offline today and the usual "restart camera" option was not available. Reinstalling the camera was pointless because it would not scan the QR Code.  I took a hairdryer to it and warmed it up (Keep your hand behind camera so you don't go too hot). Suddenly I saw the "circle of lights" appearing. Went inside, checked app, the option to "restart" is now available. Restarting usually solves the problem so I did. PROBLEM SOLVED! So the take away here, IF RESTART OPTION ON APP IS NOT PRESENT, USE HAIRDRYER TO WARM UP CAMERA UNTIL "RESTART" BECOMES AVAILABLE,  THEN HIT RESTART, that's it!

Nunnoubeeswax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks but I had multiple issues and finally just uninstalled the blasted doorbell and put back the old analog doorbell.  Since I couldn't rouse any viable company customer service even during my trial period, I've written it off as lesson learned and money lost.  Hopefully, your hair dryer suggestion (which I find hilarious) will help someone else.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation