Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Why doesn't Arlo allow for color night vision? (Arlo video doorbell HD)

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Ump-Randy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Despite its being advertised as color video streaming/recording, my Arlo only has color for daytime feeds. Once sunset occurs, all live feed and recordings revert to black and white. Also, despite being told that I have to enable color video in the settings, there is no such setting available anywhere--none. 

Thinking the unit might be defective, I returned it for a new replacement. Much to my dismay and disgust, the new unit will not show color for night feeds or recordings, and just like the one I had returned, there is no way to change this. Why the hell does Arlo advertise color video but not provide this for night feed or recording?

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ump-Randy wrote:

... my Arlo only has color for daytime feeds...

The doorbell has no visible spotlight, so you'll only get useful low light color if you have enough visible light in the scene.  It sounds like you don't have that.  If you have a porch light (or some other light covering the field of view), make sure it is on at times when you want color recordings.

Ump-Randy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a porch light, and it's on and provides PLENTY of light to the front door area. 

When this problem first occurred, I was told by Arlo customer support to make sure I selected show video in color; however, there was no such setting adjustment even available. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ump-Randy wrote:

When this problem first occurred, I was told by Arlo customer support to make sure I selected show video in color; however, there was no such setting adjustment even available. 

The doorbells don't have that setting.  They are supposed to automatically record in color when there is enough light.

FWIW, my own doorbell does this properly - recording in color when the porch light is on, and switching to Nightvision (infrared) when the porchlight is off.

Have you tried turning off Nightvision, and then see if you get reasonable recordings?

It is possible that a sensor on the doorbell is somehow blocked so the light from the porch isn't reaching it.  Is that a possibility?

Ump-Randy
Aspirant
Aspirant

To answer your questions...

My first Arlo did indeed have a setting to choose color. Unfortunately, that specific unit malfunctioned shortly after I installed it. I simply exchanged it for a replacement of the same model and now have this lack of color issue.

Without Nightvision, it is very difficult to discern who is at the door, so I left it on.

I wish it was a blocked sensor, but it isn't. The doorbell has a clear line of sight and is in no way obstructed by anything. In addition, the porch light is bright.

mpaquette70
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue and gave up trying to resolve it.  I'm just happy it records at all at night.  Apparently you need a football/baseball stadium light in order to get color night vision.

Ump-Randy
Aspirant
Aspirant

The strange thing is that my first purchase of this device had color in night vision. However, that doorbell crapped out soon after I installed it, so I sent it back to Amazon for an even exchange. This new replacement didn't allow for color during night vision, despite my turning it on in the settings menu. Nothing I've done has been able to correct that. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a couple of 40 watt porch lights that easily provide enough light for color. However, it may be that the threshold that the doorbell is using may be just different enough to cause it to not switch to color even with some ambient light. Experiment with different light bulbs to see what the effect is.

Ump-Randy
Aspirant
Aspirant

The only problem that causes is my currently having a smart bulb. That is, my current bulb is an Alexa-enabled bulb that turns on when sunset occurs and off when sunrise occurs. This way I don't have to constantly try and remember to manually turn on and off the light. I don't remember what wattage it is, but I suppose I can try and see if there is one brighter. However, I don't know if they make bulbs of 1 million candlepower. 😜

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation