Need to write a rule for port 80 and 443

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
CallMeADecoFan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hope you're all doing well. Have opened a case with support on June 4, no guidance on this was provided. 

Have an Arlo essential wired VDB that was installed on June 3. 
The VDB connects successfully to my IOT Subnet, ( on a TP Link Deco). The Deco  app shows the VDB connected to the IOT Subnet.

The Arlo app won't find the VDB because port 80 is not open. There is an option to write the rule using the Nat Forwarding sub-panels in the TP Link Deco application. 

Would appreciate any comment or guidance. Port 80  has to be open for the Arlo app to recognize the VDB. Until then, the VDB is a decoration on the door frame. Thank you all for your time and support. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CallMeADecoFan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you StevenB for your prompt reply. Appreciate all the information you provided. Silly me, thinking this could be done through the NAT Forwarding subpanels in the Deco app! Ha! 
Will pull out the laptop and work on it this weekend. Will report back accordingly ( success, celebration and thanks OR user errors, problems and questions.)

Thank you very much indeed for your assistance and support! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CallMeADecoFan wrote:

Have an Arlo essential wired VDB that was installed on June 3. 
The VDB connects successfully to my IOT Subnet, ( on a TP Link Deco). The Deco  app shows the VDB connected to the IOT Subnet.

The Arlo app won't find the VDB because port 80 is not open. There is an option to write the rule using the Nat Forwarding sub-panels in the TP Link Deco application. 

The doorbell makes outbound connections to the internet using ports 80, 123, and 443.  I suspect all three ports are open, since many iOT devices use them.  Connect a PC to the iOT network, and check if they are open with https://canyouseeme.org/ 

If the ports are NOT open

1. reserve an IP address for the doorbell in the router
  2. forward ports 80, 123 and 443 to the doorbell IP (if they are not open)

If canyouseeme.org says they ARE open, then don't forward them.

When installing the doorbell, make sure the phone is connected to the iOT wifi, and that there is no VPN enabled on the phone.  The iOT wifi network needs to be set up for WPA2 (AES) encryption.  Special characters (accented ones for instance) can create issues, so remove them from the network name and password.

CallMeADecoFan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you StevenB for your prompt reply. Appreciate all the information you provided. Silly me, thinking this could be done through the NAT Forwarding subpanels in the Deco app! Ha! 
Will pull out the laptop and work on it this weekend. Will report back accordingly ( success, celebration and thanks OR user errors, problems and questions.)

Thank you very much indeed for your assistance and support! 

CallMeADecoFan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings all! 
I'm happy to report that the Alro app found the Arlo Wired VDB at 1:36 PM. Success!! Yeah!! 

Remembering the wise advice of this morning-- that the ports were probably already open, I 

1) put the phone in airplane mode 

2)turned off cellular data 

3) turned on the IOT WiFi 

4) verified that the vpn was off

5) opened the Arlo app and completed the setup steps. 

While I had turned off cellular data on all previous setup attempts, the iPhone was not in airplane mode. 
While the VPN was off in the VPN app on previous setup attempts, the VPN buttons in the VPN settings in the IOS settings screen were not previously turned off. 

During my discussions with Arlo tech support earlier this week, one of the techs mentioned that the camera needed to be covered while the app was looking for the video doorbell-- that the doorbell needed to be facing the wall. When she said that I told her that was not possible as the wires weren't long enough. Today, with her statement in mind, I covered the VDB with a small box while waiting for the app to connect to the VBD. I'm not suggesting this made a difference, simply reporting this as a data point. 

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation