Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just installed this doorbell. I bought it because it's supposed to be compatible with the Google Nest Hub. I setup the Arlo in Google Home. But when I try to view the doorbell camera on the Nest, I get an error "it looks like your arlo is unavailable right now." I've already tried to remove the Arlo from Google Home and add it back... didnt work.
17 REPLIES 17
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Davidor,

Are you using the instructions listed here?: https://kb.arlo.com/000055108/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-cameras-to-the-Google-Assistant-app

Are able to provide a screenshot of the error you're seeing?

JamesC

Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried the instructions. Didnt work. The article doesnt say anything about the Arlo Video Doorbell. Attached is a screenshot.
NikD
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issue. Is it compatible???? The paperwork in the box only mentions Alexa and not Google hub/Nest

Marcjl
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Arlo,

Do we have latest news on when will this become compatible to Google nest/assistant? I have bought this device as well as I though I will be able to integrate this with Google Nest Hub. There are also mixed reviews online that says it was compatible but reading from these comments, it seems that it's not.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Some smart home devices—such as Amazon Alexa Show or Google Nest Hub—can’t support Arlo Video Doorbell’s full resolution. Try lowering the resolution for your video doorbell and see if you experience the same behavior.

For more information, take a look here: Why can’t I view videos from my Arlo Video Doorbell on my smart home device?

JamesC

NikD
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Marcjl ,

the doorbell will come up as a functional camera on your google hub. So if you go into your google hub and select cameras, the doorbell will be there as will all your other arlo cameras. If you select it, it will give you a video stream from your doorbell camera.

HOWEVER

But if someone rings the dorbell, it will not ring on the google hub with video support. The google hub will simply broadcast that someone is at the door, but will not give you a video feed. You will not be able to answer the doorbell or interact with the person ringing the doorbell. Arlo does not support this. They have not been able to tell me when this support comes in. 

Marcjl
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Arlo Support,

I've been using my doorbell for 3 months now and it was fine until I noticed that whenever someone pressed the doorbell, my google nest home hub speakers no longer broadcast that someone is at my front door. It was working well for the past 3 months. No issue with calls made by arlo app as I'm still receiving a calls.

I tried to unlink it again and configure this once more following -- https://kb.arlo.com/000055108/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-cameras-to-the-Google-Assistant-app however, my home hub speakers still would not want to notify me via my speakers.

Please advise what could have gone wrong.

Dunkster
Guide
Guide
My Arlo video doorbell used to make an announcement through Google Home Hub and my Google mini when someone pressed the doorbell. Now does not ...going on about two weeks now. Prior to that worked fine...been on Live Chat tech support, and phoned technical support several times after waiting a minimum of 50 minutes to over 1 hour ...All to no resolution whatsoever...no changes have been made on my end at all...only difference is the last firmware update on the Arlo video doorbell. It's getting most frustrating as it used to work but doesn't now...and even more frustrating everytime I contact technical support ...who keep asking the same questions and try the same things that I have said hasn't worked in the past...
Seaeagles
Guide
Guide

I have had the same issue.

All of a sudden my google nest hub max, google nest mini and my google wifi all stopped broadcasting that the doorbell has been pressed.

further to that, ive been wanting to set up IFTTT actions that:

- When the doorbell senses motion, it  will automatically bring up the video feed on google nest hub ...but there is no link in IFTTT between arlo and google nest hub 

- ive also been wanting the same to happen when someone rings the doorbell, but ARLO have not made 'ringing doorbell' an ction in IFTTT

Dunkster
Guide
Guide
Not sure if it is coincidence or actual...
Never had the issue until the latest ota firmware update : 1.14.0._721_bb2ff33_ee8f2f0
Previous firmware: 1.14.0.0_699_c71b2c6_0343820
I had no problem with the previous firmware ...So I don't know if it is related or not...as nothing has changed at all on my end.
bramwillemse
Initiate
Initiate
sadly I had been assuming Arlo would ring on a Nest Hub like a Nest Hello would do. But I am really disappointed to see this is not a feature for Arlo.

Are there any alternative hubs / screens where you get an instant video feed when someone rings?
Dunkster
Guide
Guide
Well I did get a phone call from Arlo Support this past Thursday to say they had made changes on their end and should be working. While they were on the phone...I went outside and pressed the video doorbell and I am happy to say in the past three days now... ARLO video doorbell once again announces ...that there is a visitor at the front door through my Google Mini and my Google Nest Hub
Dunkster
Guide
Guide
Tried an interesting experiment.
I have a Nvidia Shield tv box...which is connected to my LG oled 50" TV.
I sideloaded the Arlo app onto the Nvidia Shield ...and it works great.
Not only can I use the app on the Shield to my TV...but when I am using the Nvidia Shield and someone rings the doorbell it shows up exactly like it does on my phone...as Google Mini and the Nest Hub...announces that someone is at the door.
I would think this would work with pretty well any Android tv box.
nerd114
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got our video door bell last month and got our Google Hub today and linked the Arlo app through Google Home. Had the same issue with the video door bell streaming. Google hub saying "the Arlo stream cannot be played right now".

Lowering the resolution worked for me as the video settings was set to the highest 1536x1536 so I lowered it down to 1080x180 and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dunkster
Guide
Guide

The only thing I found strange was when I first got the Arlo Video Doorbell I had no problem streaming through the Google Nest Hub at 1536 x 1536 and the orientaion was fine.

Don't understand what has changed so now the orientation is not correct when calling up the Arlo Video Doorbell through the Google Nest Hub...

There should be no reason why the orientaion all of a sudden is incorrect at 1536 x 1536 and according to the time I spent with Google Nest Hub support they say there is no reason why the orientaion all of a sudden is incorrect...especially when it used to be correct.

Taking down the resolution defeats the purpose...since it used to work properly at 1536 x 1536.

So what I found real interesting is I can cast from my phone the Arlo Video Doorbell at 1536 x1536 to the Google Nest Hub and the orientaion is correct.

So what and where has changed ...I have no idea ..other than the fact that for months the orientation was correct through the Google Nest Hub when set at 1536 x1536....and now it is not.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Some smart home devices—such as Amazon Alexa Show or Google Nest Hub—can’t support Arlo Video Doorbell’s full resolution. Try lowering the resolution for your video doorbell and see if you experience the same behavior.

For more information, take a look here: Why can’t I view videos from my Arlo Video Doorbell on my smart home device?

JamesC

Elev888
Aspirant
Aspirant
Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation