Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Some customers in Australia and New Zealand regions may be experiencing problems with live streaming and motion recordings not saved to library. We are working to resolve this issue, please see status.arlo.com for the latest information.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Sealey
Guide
Guide

I have been experiencing a pesky problem with my video doorbell (wired version) for months now.  Whenever motion is detected it begins to record video and audio.  After a few second the video will freeze (stop recording), but the audio continues as normal.  Sometimes the video will start again after a few more seconds.  Sometimes not.  I worked with Arlo Support.  Not much progress was made there (as usual).  I even replaced the doorbell, thinking the one I had was defective. But, the problem continued.  I finally called in an electrician to check on the voltage powering the doorbell.  The meter read 18V at the doorbell, which is within the specs.  The electrician said he has heard of similar problems with video doorbells from multiple manufacturers (not always Arlo).  We decided to replace the transformer anyway to see if that could be the problem.  We replaced it with a multi-tap transformer and set the transformer to output 24V. That has solved my problem.  The video is now clear with no freezing.

So, if anyone is having a similar problem, it might be wise to check the voltage at the video doorbell.  Even if its within Arlo's stated specs, it may be wise to make sure your doorbell is receiving power at the top end of that range (24V).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sealey
Guide
Guide
Hello there. Yes this seems to have corrected my problem. I do occasionally get a few freezes. Maybe, one every few weeks. But, for the most part the camera is working fine now by setting the voltage to 24 V

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jamarh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for taking the time to share this. I logged on precisely for this reason. I didn’t have this problem with two other doorbells I previously owned (two different companies).
Cruzer_One
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for sharing. I’m currently having the same issue. I’ll be reaching out to an electrician for sure.
Ajax4040
Aspirant
Aspirant
Cruzer_one just wondering did u fixture you issue with changing the doorbell transformer? I have the exact same problem as described above. Wondering how many people have the same issue
Sealey
Guide
Guide
Hello there. Yes this seems to have corrected my problem. I do occasionally get a few freezes. Maybe, one every few weeks. But, for the most part the camera is working fine now by setting the voltage to 24 V
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation