Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wired Video Doorbell - Rings Existing Chime Continuously

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
johnpell
Follower
Follower

This entire wired doorbell has turned out to be a complete waste of hours of time. I ultimately contacted Broan-Nutone (possibly the largest manufacturer of conventional doorbells and chimes) to be advised that Broan-Nutone chimes do not typically work with video doorbells. I accept some responsibility at not having contacted Broan-Nutone first, but this problem is well-documented on community.arlo.com with multiple complaints by others who were advised to purchase new transformers or abandon their existing chimes, and the support technicians at Arlo knew nothing about this. A simple notation that with your technical support personnel or on the Arlo website indicating that the product may not work properly with chimes might have saved me a lot of time and frustration. In addition to almost two hours with Arlo technicians over the course of two separate support calls along with attempting to install a 2nd Power Kit unit sent as a replacement, I also wound up having to solder new extensions to my original doorbell wires because the Arlo doorbell required significant space behind the unit forcing the doorbell wires back into a shallow cavity and breaking the copper lines. Nothing but a frustration, and I know what I'm doing when it comes to wiring, using a multimeter, transformers, etc. Definitely NOT HAPPY.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@johnpell wrote:

I ultimately contacted Broan-Nutone (possibly the largest manufacturer of conventional doorbells and chimes) to be advised that Broan-Nutone chimes do not typically work with video doorbells. 

Some do, some don't.  My NuTone LA-12 works fine.

It would be very useful to have a compatibility list in a KB article.  Ring does have one, and and if your chime is incompatible with Ring it will likely also be incompatible with Arlo.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation