Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Hss55
Guide
Guide

So I'm now on my 2nd Video Doorbell unit.  First one died and said the battery was dead.  This one has been working (although I did get the low battery thing once for about 30 minutes) up until a few days ago.

About 2-3 days ago, it just stopped recording and sending notices.  I tested the motion sensor and that works.  I can view and record manually.   Also rebooted the device.  It just doesn't seem to activate and start recording or send notices when it detects motion.     Were there any updates to the firmware that were released a few days ago?

Any ideas?   Getting frustrated with this.  If I have to return this one, don't know if I'll be going for a 3rd. 

43 REPLIES 43
ESz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same thing happened to me. It stopped recording video and sending notifications on Jan 28. No idea what to do other than return it. Can't even phone Arlo for support.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd start with removing/resetting the doorbell. I've had to try holding the reset button several times to get it to reset so be patient.

Hss55
Guide
Guide

Dang.  I removed the device from my Arlo App.  Reset it,  now its coming up with the amber circle (not enough power).   🤔

Tried rewiring it but same thing.

It worked ok for a few months on the current wiring, but...

Starting to wonder if theres not an issue with that transformer after all.  That would explain the intermittent low battery warnings too.    The house is 40 years old and I'm guessing that transformer was the original one.   Sigh.  Might be making a trip to the hardware store for a new transformer and voltage checker.   🙄

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If the power from the transformer is too low, this often will result in the symptoms being discussed here. Replacing the transformer with a model that has higher voltage should eliminate this issue.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are aware of a reported issue affecting a small number of Arlo Video Doorbells where video recordings are not being captured upon motion detection by the Video Doorbell.

Pressing the doorbell will still trigger video recordings, and will trigger a phone call to the Arlo user’s smartphone as expected. This issue only affects the doorbell’s ability to start recording upon motion detection.

Our team is actively investigating and working to address the issue as soon as possible. You can check on the latest status of this issue at http://status.arlo.com

JamesC

Firemedic023
Tutor
Tutor
I’m having the same issue with my video doorbell. It just doesn’t record video upon motion activation. Tried re connecting it to smart hub but no change.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Firemedic023,

For recordings to be saved to the cloud with Arlo Video Doorbell, you must have an active subscription to Arlo Smart. Did your free trial to Arlo Smart expire?

JamesC

Firemedic023
Tutor
Tutor
It must have expired. I don’t understand why all my other camera motion recordings can be viewed on the phone app, but the doorbell cannot unless I subscribe to a monthly plan. After paying over a thousand dollars for my current setup and to add a approx $150 per year more just to view the recordings from the video doorbell camera? Ouch!
Hss55
Guide
Guide

For me, most of the issues were solved when I replaced the transformer.  It was saying there was enough voltage but still didn't work correctly.  The existing transformer was at least 30 years old so...

Anyways, replacing it with a new one worked.

I was still having issues getting the motion capture, etc. to work though.  For me, I discovered that I was able to get everything setup using the Arlo app from an iPad pro.   Trying to use the web app from a Windows 10 PC didn't work for me for some reason.

kparker92
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please help. Our Arlo Doorbell camera has stopped recording video; we receive an alert to our devices when motion activates it; however, it is not recording the video clips as it has customarily. We removed the device and reinstalled it. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kparker92,

For recordings to be saved to the cloud with Arlo Video Doorbell, you must have an active subscription to Arlo Smart. Did your free trial to Arlo Smart expire?

JamesC

gokulbalakumar
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello,

I am facing the same issue where the Arlo door bell stopped recording videos and notifying. I even have a Arlo smart hub.
From the beginning I am facing a lag of 10 secs with arlo cameras and Video door bell but the only reason I haven’t returned is because of their 7 day cloud storage and ability to store videos locally using a thumpdrive via base station. But with recording stopped not sure if the product is worth the investment.
Is it really a tech issue or a subscription one. I still have 45days to return my product to my local store.
Snooglechat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has the issue of the camera not recording been fixed?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Snooglechat wrote:
Has the issue of the camera not recording been fixed?

Not sure what you mean. 

But if you have a subscription, the video doorbell will record to the cloud.  If you pair the video doorbell to a smarthub you can make local recordings and access them for free.

If you are asking if Arlo is offering free cloud storage for the video doorbell w/o a subscription - the answer to that is no.

gokulbalakumar
Aspirant
Aspirant
How about non cloud local storage. Are we saying video door bell does not allow any type of storage? When I ordered, the salesman said it works like any other arlo camera except this has a door bell feature integrated and since you have the base station you should have all the features of 7 day cloud storage and siren etc?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gokulbalakumar wrote:
How about non cloud local storage. Are we saying video door bell does not allow any type of storage? When I ordered, the salesman said it works like any other arlo camera except this has a door bell feature integrated and since you have the base station you should have all the features of 7 day cloud storage and siren etc?

It works like the other new Arlo cameras (pro3, Ultra).  Cloud recording requires a subscription for the newer cameras (and my guess is that will be the case with all future Arlo cameras).

As far as local recording goes, you can pair it with a new smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), and if you do that you will get free local storage.  But if you connect it directly to your home wifi network, you don't get any local storage.  

You can activate the siren in the doorbell w/o a paid subscription (and that doesn't require any storage).

Snooglechat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I set up the Doorbell a few days ago. The recordings were stored. Yesterday I received a notification that there was motion detected but when I went to look all of the previous recordings were not there and no recording of the current alert was there. I conducted a Google search and there was a thread on this site back in February where the Arlo tech department indicated they were aware of the issue and were working to address the problem.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Snooglechat,

Check your subscriptions to make sure the Arlo Video Doorbell is still participating in your Arlo Smart plan. You can do this by logging in to your Alro account and navigating to Settings > Subscription > Manage Cameras

JamesC

gokulbalakumar
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMB4050 and VMB5000 specs only suggests Arlo audio door bell as compatible and not video door bell. Are you sure the video door bell will be able to record videos locally ? 

DamiendHarris
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don’t know why cloud storage and a subscription keeps coming up. My doorbell recorded locally on my WiFi for months. Then stopped in early April. I deleted and reinstalled it and it started recording again. Then over the weekend stopped again.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DamiendHarris,

It sounds like your Arlo Smart Trial expired. The Arlo Video Doorbell requires a subscription to record content to the cloud. It will not record locally when connected to WiFi.

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gokulbalakumar wrote:

VMB4540 and VMB5000 specs only suggests Arlo audio door bell as compatible and not video door bell. Are you sure the video door bell will be able to record videos locally ? 

I have one video doorbell connected to each, and I do get local recordings on both bases.

lakefever
Initiate
Initiate

I am having a lot of the same problems as other and no my subscription has not expired, it is connected, has a good wifi signal, transformer is new.  Everything but the doorbell itself has been eliminated.  It will not record most rings, although it will capture one about once a month. It will stop giving notifications then start again. It will not record a ring but then record motion 5 minutes later. Sometimes part of the video shows a lot of ghosting or part of the video is grayed out. This should not give this much trouble.        

eliudro
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC, I was under the impression that all video will be recorded and save in to the cloud for seven days, and that also include the doorbell camera. That is not the case? my question is because my doorbell detect movement but is not recording? do I need to subscribe in order to record the video from the doorbell? Please clarify this for me.

Discussion stats