Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
tmc721
Guide
Guide

We have a setup here with two Arlo Pro 3s (H9) and a base station (VMB4540). We installed a video doorbell about a month ago. Installation was a piece of cake - worked perfectly. Yay! I was singing Arlo's praises in how easy the installation was.  Then came yesterday. Just recently we had the some repair work done around the front door and had to temporarily disconnect the doorbell while the carpenter made his repairs. Yesterday, I attempted to reinstall the doorbell and had no luck whatsoever.  (Cameras are still working just fine.) I tried various things including deleting the doorbell from the app, resetting the doorbell back to factory settings, etc. etc.  The LEDs seem to do all the right things during the sync'ing sequence but the doorbell is never found. I spent around two hours on this and am about to rip the thing off the wall, hurl it into the street and replace it with a Google Nest doorbell. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tmc721
Guide
Guide

Arlo released a new version of the iOS app (ver. 2.22) and that fixed the issue for me. Doorbell connected right away and is up and running.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Mdterps
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just recently had a very similar problem, after removing and trying to add my video doorbell again back to my system. I tried everything you discussed including resetting to factory settings many times. For me, I was trying to add the doorbell back using an iPhone. I reset the doorbell one last time and tried to add using an Android device, and it paired immediately.
tmc721
Guide
Guide

Hmmm...I don't have an Android device but perhaps an iPad would work. Wondering if it's a 2.4 Ghz vs 5 GHz WiFi situation.....I'll give that a try. Thank you!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, since you've reset the doorbell, be sure to remove it from Settings, My Devices as well.

tmc721
Guide
Guide

Yep, I had already made sure to do that earlier.  I've now also tried the setup with a few different devices. No luck. Just times out and results with the app saying "No doorbells were found."  I opened up a support case. We'll see where that leads.

Scoops3979
Star
Star

exact same issue as you, posted in another thread. was working fine, had to disconnect for some work, now can't get it to reconnect. Tried all kinds of tech approaches, using single router with 2.4ghz only, tried both iphones/android, even tablets. Get the chime after the QR code, but the phone never finds it. Also opening a ticket. Let me know if you get any resolution.

tmc721
Guide
Guide

Guess I'm (slightly) happy to hear it's not just me. Got a reply to my ticket but they simply had me do the steps I've done a bunch of times before (same result - doorbell not found) and sent links to all the support articles I've already read. I've updated them with my results. We'll see where it goes from there.  I'd appreciate hearing if you manage to make any progress. Thanks!

Shades29A
Initiate
Initiate

I opened up a case for this exact issue on Oct 19th, but I still have not had a reply.

So far I'm not happy with Arlo's documentation and support.

Scoops3979
Star
Star

Opened up a case 3 days ago with no response either. I'm just at a lost, one day it works and the next day it doesnt. I'm hoping for a warranty replacement although it seems crazy that it would be a hardware issue given every step of the process is completed and the doorbell even connects to my wifi, just the app can't find the doorbell. 

Regardless - looking at alternatives to replace all the arlo stuff in my house. So far Eufy looks like a contender, but still researching. 

Scoops3979
Star
Star

circling back here to provide an update to anyone who is curious now or in the future. I could not get the doorbell to connect after the QR code chime, it just kept searching. I have an eero mesh system, and I decided to search the word "eero" in the community and found another thread where someone was successful using a guest network. I created a guest network, reset the doorbell and started from scratch connecting the doorbell under my existing arlo account but using the guest wifi network that was broadcasting. 

It worked. Connected in 1 second on first try. The doorbell is viewable within the arlo app. However, I can not change it back to the primary network. I've attempted to go through the steps of changing the network within the doorbell settings on the app. When reading the QR code to go back to the primary network, it just gets stuck searching like the original problem. At this point, I have no idea if it is arlo's fault or eero's fault. I'm at a loss. For now, I will leave it on the guest network with a very secure password, but would like to move it at some point. Will probably try again after eero puts out 1-2 firmware updates, and see if it miraculously works beacuse of some change on their end? Who knows... frustrating.

Also for anyone just wanting to give up - look into "eufy". I will most likely be heading that way, looks very nice. 

Scoops3979
Star
Star

circling back here to provide an update to anyone who is curious now or in the future. I could not get the doorbell to connect after the QR code chime, it just kept searching. I have an eero mesh system, and I decided to search the word "eero" in the community and found another thread where someone was successful using a guest network. I created a guest network, reset the doorbell and started from scratch connecting the doorbell under my existing arlo account but using the guest wifi network that was broadcasting. 

It worked. Connected in 1 second on first try. The doorbell is viewable within the arlo app. However, I can not change it back to the primary network. I've attempted to go through the steps of changing the network within the doorbell settings on the app. When reading the QR code to go back to the primary network, it just gets stuck searching like the original problem. At this point, I have no idea if it is arlo's fault or eero's fault. I'm at a loss. For now, I will leave it on the guest network with a very secure password, but would like to move it at some point. Will probably try again after eero puts out 1-2 firmware updates, and see if it miraculously works beacuse of some change on their end? Who knows... frustrating.

Also for anyone just wanting to give up - look into "eufy". I will most likely be heading that way, looks very nice.  I may go that direction.

bramwillemse
Initiate
Initiate

Hi there, I am running into similar issues.

I already had a Video Doorbell connected through WiFi and I just got a set of 2 Arlo cameras (the original ones) and a base station from a friend and wanted to connect them all through the base station.

1. Yesterday I was able to quickly connect my cameras and a Chime (which I thought I could use with my video door bell originally..)
  2. But I wasn't able to reconnect my Video Doorbell with the base station after a reset. Not to my base station (4540), nor through WiFi.
  3. Today I was happy I am able to connect the video doorbell through Wifi again (using the QR code), but still it does not connect through my base station.

Officially my base station and video doorbell are compatible. They're up to date, but nothing's happening.

My setup

• Video doorbell (AVD1001Ar1.2 / 1.14.0.0_721_bb2ff33_ee8f2f0)
  • Base station (VMB4540r2 / 1.16.3.4_707_c289687)
  • Chime (1.2 / 1.2.0.0_314_283)
  • 2x Arlo camera (H8 / 1.092.0.28_56_991)

Any help / input would be welcome. I have already spent 3 hours going through these damned wizards, checks for firmware updates. Also a feature I do not understand. Please create an option to skip these installation steps for people who are resetting their devices.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bramwillemse,

The development team is currently investigating reports from some users who cannot connect their doorbell to base stations. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information to share.

JamesC

Adam12345
Tutor
Tutor

Following along as I am having the same issue. Arlo Pro 3 cameras all connected to base station, tried adding video doorbell and it will not find the smart hub, or find the wi-fi.

Adam12345
Tutor
Tutor

Any update on this issue? I am reaching the return date through Amazon and will be returning if this is not resolved this week.

tmc721
Guide
Guide

I keep getting email from customer support asking me to try steps I've already done multiple times. It's making me nuts but I'm already past my return date to BestBuy.  I know earlier in this thread they said they had engineers working on it but no update yet.  Support has been pretty slow and not very helpful.

tmc721
Guide
Guide

So Arlo sent me a new doorbell. Exact same issue as before. I even went through the process of resetting ALL of my Arlo cameras and  the base station and re-adding them back. All worked smoothly except for the door bell. Same issues as before. I've got to think it's a firmware issue.

Searching the forum, I also found this thread from the spring when they first enabled this functionality: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Doorbell-Won-t-Connect-to-Base-Station-or-Wireless... Turned out they had some issue on their backend servers....interesting.

"We have determined that there was an issue with our backend servers preventing the Arlo Video Doorbell (AVD1001) from onboarding on VMB5000 and VMB4540 Smarthubs. We believe we have resolved the issue on our backend at this time."

Anyway, I've given up for now.  Since I'm past the window for returning this thing to BestBuy, I'm going to just live without a working doorbell for a while in hopes that they discover a fix soon. Truly disappointed and frustrated that there's still not a fix for this.

Scoops3979
Star
Star

They offered to send me an RMA but i declined as my unit works perfectly fine, the problem isn't the hardware (that I know of). Besides, I bought a new arlo doorbell from bestbuy just to see if it was hardware issue, and had same problem as previously described. Returned it of course to get my money back. I borrowed an older netgear router from a friend that he had laying around, set it up with a single 2.4ghz network and right next to doorbell. Connected phone to router and went through doorbell process, same issue, couldn't be found. For now, I have an eero router and thankfully when I put the doorbell on the guest network it registered instantly. I've tried a bunch of times to get the doorbell back on the main network to no avail, yet can set it up easily anytime on the guest network. So leaving it their for a few months to see if firmware updates to either/both the doorbell and eero will help. Until then, it works. Long term - i'm leaving arlo. Will be doing my research over the next couple months, looking into Eufy and Wyze, among others. 

potstom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem on my side: Latest software on base vmb4540. „doorbell not found“ Not on base directly nor on wifi. How do you guys get a Q/R? I‘m not even getting there. I just have a white slow blinking doorbell.

Adam12345
Tutor
Tutor

If you go through the steps on the App, there is a option to "Connect without Smarthub". Going through those steps should get you to a QR Code after you select your WIFI.

I did just get another message from support, and they are now telling me this is only an issue with Apple/IOS. If you have an Android (I do not), supposedly you can set it up using the Android and it will be connected into your app after that.

I can't try this, but wanted to share in case it worked for anyone else.

tmc721
Guide
Guide

Arlo released a new version of the iOS app (ver. 2.22) and that fixed the issue for me. Doorbell connected right away and is up and running.

Adam12345
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks so much for sharing! I deleted the app and re-downloaded with version IOS version 2.22 and mine connected right away as well!

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation