Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TimPerry
Star
Star

I followed the instructions and have the video doorbell operational except it will not connect to my 2.4 wifi network. As per the instructions, using my phone app, the bell light is solid white, I enter my specific network info, and press the doorbell which causes the white leds to flash, I take a snapshot of the code displayed on the phone with the doorbell camera, which chimes on the phone as the instructions indicate, and then I wait for the sync to happen...

I noted after a period of time passes that the leds turn red.. and then solid white, but the app indicates the phone doesn't sync. I've completed the process about 20 times all with the same result.

I'm on 2.11 version of the app released 11/11/19

I called Arlo Support and they say they'll call me back within 24 to 48 hours!

How about THAT support?? My front doorbell system doesn't work... and I wait a couple of days..

45 REPLIES 45
GeraldG
Initiate
Initiate

I had similar issues. customer service had me rename my 2.4 wifi network to something with one word and no special characters. this worked!

erikb19
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue with mine.  GeraldG fix is how I got mine to finally work too.  Had to change to an SSID that did not have any special characters.  My guess is they have a bug (either in the linking or QR code) that does not support special characters.  They are going to need to get this fixed or they are going to get a lot of returns (I returned my first one because of this issue).

Chickeneye
Guide
Guide
My SSID Or password did not have aMy special characters
darkleafar
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think the key was the QR code!  I have mixed network with 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the same SSID and the router QR code worked for me.  I also have a special character in my SSID and I did not have to change that either

srswork
Aspirant
Aspirant

Long difficult attempt to connect including turning off 5Ghz channels, multiple resets, eliminating extenders, all to no avail.  The FIX was removing spaces and special characters from SSID name.  It may be related to the QR code, but it worked for me.  This dovetails with some other responses which suggest using different QR code generator (I tried this unsuccessfully) and with success reported by setting up guest network without spaces or special characters.  The guest network solution without spaces was suggested by tech support which leads me to believe that it is a known issue.  Guest network will not always work with apple AirPort Extreme since guest network requires that Airport be the primary router.  Easier to change SSID name on main network.  Hope this helps someone else.

Ashepp3
Tutor
Tutor
After multiple attempts to connect and failed communication with useless tech support, called customer support to request RMA for full refund. All they do is generate case numbers and give excuses. Have yet to receive actual RMA with shipping instructions. It’s their way of never giving a refund. Absolutely the WORST customer support I have ever experienced.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ashepp3,

I'd like to take a look at your support ticket and escalate if needed. Do you have a ticket number I can reference?

JamesC

Ashepp3
Tutor
Tutor

But, now trying to get RMA. Already have a couple of case #s for that over a 10 day timeframe. Still no RMA.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ashepp3,

I've escalated your support ticket, an agent will reach out to you with an update as soon as possible.

JamesC

Ashepp3
Tutor
Tutor
Just want the RMA at this point. That case # is 41329196.
Ashepp3
Tutor
Tutor
Finally received RMA, 11 days after initially requesting. Shipping video doorbell today. Refund hopefully forthcoming thereafter.
DeWolf
Initiate
Initiate

Bought the video doorbell the other day, the instructions etc were great until it came time to connect to my network. I attempted multiple times and no luck. Was on the phone 3 times with different useless tech support people. The last guy said someone would call back in an hour and never did. This wasted about 3 hours of my life....I got it to work on my own. Unsure what the problem was but here is what I did..

1) log into your router and turn off the 5G if you have that.

2) generate your own QR code to access your wifi ( I think this was the big problem), once I did this it connected right away.

3) once connected turn 5G back on if you want

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, mine connected fine w/o disabling 5G.

However, I manually entered the SSID and password - I didn't use a QR code.  Also my SSID/password doesn't include spaces or unusual characters.

DadOnArrival
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just spent 8 hours fighting with my new video doorbell ... only to realize that it wants a dedicated DHCP assignment on my local wifi router before the installation sequence will complete.  Otherwise, it would just get stuck trying to sync to the base station until the process timed-out.

Apparently, it doesn't want to change IP addresses ... ever.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DadOnArrival wrote:

I just spent 8 hours fighting with my new video doorbell ... only to realize that it wants a dedicated DHCP assignment on my local wifi router before the installation sequence will complete. 

It didn't require that for me.  I haven't reserved an address for the doorbell in my Orbi router (and I also didn't need to turn off the 5 ghz wifi network).

SkipF
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I generate my own QR code from my router?

DadOnArrival
Aspirant
Aspirant
I looked at my setup again and realized the router had initially been assigning the doorbell to a different subnet in my LAN (I have 3). When I made the DHCP direct assignment, it was to the same subnet as the base station.
johnmackin46
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would also like to find out how to generate a QR code form my router.

GeraldG
Initiate
Initiate

To create the Wi-Fi network QR code, first visit https://qifi.org. Type in the name of your network and your password, then click on Generate. The web app will generate the QR code which you can print or screenshot.

johnmackin46
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks!

Ashepp3
Tutor
Tutor
RMA 778849320661 was received on 12/20/2019. Have proof of delivery. As of 01/12/2020, no refund has been generated. How can ordering the product take less time than returning?
Discussion stats