Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TimPerry
Star
Star

I followed the instructions and have the video doorbell operational except it will not connect to my 2.4 wifi network. As per the instructions, using my phone app, the bell light is solid white, I enter my specific network info, and press the doorbell which causes the white leds to flash, I take a snapshot of the code displayed on the phone with the doorbell camera, which chimes on the phone as the instructions indicate, and then I wait for the sync to happen...

I noted after a period of time passes that the leds turn red.. and then solid white, but the app indicates the phone doesn't sync. I've completed the process about 20 times all with the same result.

I'm on 2.11 version of the app released 11/11/19

I called Arlo Support and they say they'll call me back within 24 to 48 hours!

How about THAT support?? My front doorbell system doesn't work... and I wait a couple of days..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimPerry
Star
Star

A tech did follow up this evening about 630 pm and the problem was solved. Very nice and helpful support tech!

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
TimPerry
Star
Star

A tech did follow up this evening about 630 pm and the problem was solved. Very nice and helpful support tech!

anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
So
anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
So what ended up being the issue?
Stallard84
Star
Star
Im having the same issue, any tips?
TimPerry
Star
Star

Make sure that your SSID upper and lower cases match exactly to your network routers SSID for your network. Same with the password.. SSID is case sensitive.

Stallard84
Star
Star
Thanks, not the issue but thought it might help seeing what yours was. Mine setup was similar to yours, tried 20+ times to get it to find the video doorbell and never does. Thanks anyways.
TimPerry
Star
Star

Did you use the reset inside the doorbell when you were configuring the doorbell network? 

Stallard84
Star
Star
No, but I actually figured it out. I set up a guest 2.4 ghz network that the camera found and connected to. So today I will try to reset it to my normal network. Thanks for your input though.
Chickeneye
Guide
Guide

I am having the same issue. I thought it was the doorbell so I returned it for an exchange and still having the issue with the new one.  I have checked and my SSID is correct along with password.  what reset are y'all talking about?

TimPerry
Star
Star

The reset is on the back of the doorbell between the two screw connections.. use the little tool that came with it.. push it in for 10 secs or so and the leds will begin rapidly flashing.

Chickeneye
Guide
Guide

ok tried that and still did not work.  flashed white for a little bit then back to amber.

anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
You’ll probably have to remove it (in the app), then go through the process of installing. I found that out while trying to connect to a stronger Wi-Fi signal inside my home. Can’t just connect it to new Wi-Fi. Have to remove. SMH
Chickeneye
Guide
Guide

I cant even get it to appear in the app. I do everything per the app instructions and it never connects.  Flashing white show phone code to doorbell, hear chime, flashes white for a little bit than flashes amber and doesn't connect.  Tried Changing the encryption type still nothing.  Tried the guest network still not connecting.  I am utilizing a Netgear Nighthawk router.

Chickeneye
Guide
Guide

Even tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling.  still did not work.

anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
Seems like I experienced similar. Had blinking circle BUT i didn’t get chime. Make sure you hold the pin into the slot for 20-30 seconds, THEN press the bell button and u should hear a chime. IIRC
Chickeneye
Guide
Guide

I heard the Arlo chime. It just won't connect

anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think I misremembered. I think I did hear a chime and still wouldn’t connect. But after that, I still had to hold the button for longer than seamed reasonable. And I did have to press the button after hearing the chime. Also, be sure you are getting Wi-Fi signal to the area. Also, I remember seeing where someone mentioned the ssid and password are case sensitive
Chickeneye
Guide
Guide
I have plenty of signal my doorbell is about 12ft ft from my router. And my router is strong enough my phone picks it up a block away.
Chickeneye
Guide
Guide

SOLVED MY PROBLEM.  

Ok so the issue is the QR code the app is generating.  I used my Nighthawk router app to generate its own QR code and showed that to the doorbell camera when asking for the QR code on the app.  As soon as I showed it the QR code from my router app it immediately connected and started updating the firmware.   The Doorbell now works perfect.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Chickeneye  can you share which mobile client you were using (iOS / Android), the device type (Samsung XX or iPhone YY), and version of the app (2.11.1, etc.)?  Would like to confirm QR code generation as this is obviously a key step in onboarding!

Chickeneye
Guide
Guide
Yeah I am using IPhone X with app 2.11.1 released 11/19/19.
lmervin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue of not being able to connect to my Arris Surfboard wifi network. I called tech support at 406-638-3750 and they had me to:

1. turn off my Cellular Data on my iPhone X 

2. make sure there were no spaces in the security key (even though it shows like that on the data label)

I think item 2 was the culprit. They (Clifford ['Ford']) had me to forget my network on my phone and reconnect to it. It was then that I discovered I couldn't reconnect because of the spaces in the security key. 

theycallmetim
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had similar symptoms.  My issue was that I have a dual-band WIFI (2.4 & 5Ghz - same SSID). My phone was connected to the 5Ghz, but the Doorbell to 2.4. I had to disable the 5Ghz so my phone would connect to the 2.4 band. Worked fine after that.

Chickeneye
Guide
Guide

Yeah I also have a dual band but even turned off the 5ghz on my router and forgot it on my phone. my phone was connected to the 2.4 but the doorbell still wouldn't connect to the 2.4ghz network until I used the routers QRE code. 

Discussion stats