Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell does not record

Discussion stats
Bob_CA
Tutor
Tutor
Video doorbell was configured with Arlo hub for pro 3. It is detecting motion and sending alerts. However it does not record when motion is detected. Is it supposed to? Or, does it only record when someone presses button on doorbell?
53 REPLIES 53
BCQ
Guide
Guide

From 2/17 -2/23 the doorbell would only record if I answered the phone notification after someone rang the bell.  Suddenly, yesterday, it began recording everything again. I have changed nothing.  I have not done anything either before it stopped recording nor to try and fix the issue.  Arlo is stupid expensive.  And while they should be dummy proof, even if I am a dummy, I haven’t changed a single thing with the system. 

Jptech
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I do have Arlo video door bell and VMB4500  base station. It records to USB when it detect motion no issue there. Just annoying part is there APP is not that much smart to allow view of local recording... only cloud recording available in library. I fill same its kind of miss marketing, * you need to unmount usb to pc to view video hard way.  

Its year 2021, feel like IOT is old and still we can't access usb without dismounting... I think they think about only cloud if features is available then more and more people buy alro. But now to recommend some one ... research arlo product for 3 month (min. 8hrs a day) and then buy the one which meet your needs.  

SnowroxKT
Initiate
Initiate
Same here
SnowroxKT
Initiate
Initiate
Same issue with the doorbell not recording after subscription. Super disappointing and makes me want to switch to ring out of spite.
Arlene_yap09
Aspirant
Aspirant
Our arlo doorbell won’t record but can detect motion. What should i do?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlene_yap09 wrote:
Our arlo doorbell won’t record but can detect motion. What should i do?

Do you have a paid subscription for the doorbell?

Seaeagles
Guide
Guide

I have an active subscription and my Video doorbell stopped recording.

I changed nothing.

It does not give me the option to click 'If motion Detected' as its greyed out.

So what am I paying for if it does not record?????

LookingGlass
Tutor
Tutor
Installed Arlo Video Doorbell, camera is active, alert on motion and can view live video. Doorbell is config’d in Hub to record on motion. It is not recording. BTW - I cancelled free trial subscription. Why is it not recording video.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LookingGlass wrote:
 BTW - I cancelled free trial subscription. Why is it not recording video.

Cloud recording requires a subscription - which you canceled.

LookingGlass
Tutor
Tutor
I should be able to record locally to my Arlo Base for which no cloud subscription is required.
LookingGlass
Tutor
Tutor
Post is confusing are you recording to cloud or locally or both? I’m having trouble recording to the USB on my base. I read you can do this without a cloud subscription. I would really like a clear and unambiguous answer whether or not this is possible.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LookingGlass wrote:
. I read you can do this without a cloud subscription. I would really like a clear and unambiguous answer whether or not this is possible.

What base do you have?

Direct Access to local storage is possible with the VMB4540 and the VMB5000.  Other bases can store your recordings, but you need to eject the USB drive, and then connect it to a PC to view them. 

Even with the VMB4540 and VMB5000, you can only directly access the recordings from the app - not the web browser.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it  There are other limitations - no thumbnails, and no access from friend accounts.  IMO the subscription is the most functional path. 

LookingGlass
Tutor
Tutor
With VMB4540 / 5000, accessing locally stored video w/o thumbnails how do you find the recording your looking for, do you have to “play” all videos? That’s crazy.

Understood, subscription is a continuous revenue source for Netgear. However, for those of us who have no need for cloud storage but a simple need to access locally recorded video with basic functionality going the subscription route is overkill and a waste of money.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LookingGlass wrote:

Understood, subscription is a continuous revenue source for Netgear.

FYI, Netgear divested Arlo in 2018.

@LookingGlass wrote:
 but a simple need to access locally recorded video with basic functionality going the subscription route is overkill and a waste of money.

Obviously a lot of people feel that way.   But like it or not, Arlo requires a subscription for cloud storage with their newer cameras.

ggf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello, I am having this same situation. I pay monthly fee for video doorbell but it's stopped recording. I've done enough research and followed directions I've found on Arlo support site, nothing has worked. In addition, our Echo stopped notifying us for all 3 of our cameras, the same time that the doorbell stopped recording. I would appreciate support here.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ggf wrote:
Hello, I am having this same situation. I pay monthly fee for video doorbell but it's stopped recording. I've done enough research and followed directions I've found on Arlo support site, nothing has worked. In addition, our Echo stopped notifying us for all 3 of our cameras, the same time that the doorbell stopped recording. I would appreciate support here.

This is a community forum, so not exactly the same as "support".  You can contact Arlo support using the link in the upper right of the forum page.

Of course we don't know what directions you followed.  I suggest

1. confirming that the doorbell is still listed under the subscription, and isn't listed in "no plan".
  2. seeing if you can livestream the doorbell video.
  3. If you can livestream, then see if you can make a manual recording

Are you getting notifications from the doorbell on your phone (via the Arlo app)?  Or have they also stopped?

ggf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for your reply. After a few different things I'd read about to no avail, I decided to try a whole reset by cancelling my subscription then renewing. That worked. Go figure.
BCQ
Guide
Guide

I just realized I have had another week go by where my doorbell has not recorded.  My camera has.  This stuff is ridiculous. There is not even a warning that your device is not recording.  I do not want to check my library every day. I find my landscaping torn up this morning so I check my recordings - nothing. Arlo expects its customers to fix their problems.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BCQ,

Do you have an active subscription for your doorbell?

JamesC

seff29
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anybody here knows a different brand that uses a USB without unplugging it to the base to view the motion recordings. I'm 'bout to get rid of my Arlo when I'm able to find a different brand.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The VMB4540 and 5000 hubs don't require you to remove the drive from the hub to view local recordings. Since the older bases weren't designed for direct access (it wasn't available) you must safely eject the drive to see the videos. It's just a timing thing in the design cycle.

seff29
Aspirant
Aspirant

So if I replace my older hub to either the VMB4540 and 5000, will they be able to work on my two Arlo 2 cameras and video doorbell?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@seff29 wrote:

So if I replace my older hub to either the VMB4540 and 5000, will they be able to work on my two Arlo 2 cameras and video doorbell?

Yes.  Compatibility info is here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility

BCQ
Guide
Guide

Sorry for the delay. I did not see your response. Yes. I have an active subscription. This has been ongoing with some regularity since I set this up a year or so ago. I have a wired video doorbell connected through a SmartHub base station. (Ultra camera, too) The doorbell randomly stops recording activity. If the bell is pressed, I may get a notification to my phone but my chime may only ring about 25% of the time, despite being hard wired. I have changed nothing with my settings. It is set to record video if motion is detected. I do not change anything either before it stops recording nor to try and fix the issue. It simply works intermittently. I have reset and reconnected several times over the past year. my Ultra camera has never dropped off.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BCQ wrote:

but my chime may only ring about 25% of the time, despite being hard wired.

This is a traditional (analog or digital) chime?  Or is it the Arlo chime/chime2?

Discussion stats