Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell - can it ring the chime but not call my phone??

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
vaulthigh
Initiate
Initiate

with the Video Doorbell can I set it to ring the existing wired chime but NOT call my phone when I'm home? the "Silent" mode silences both - that's not what I want. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
edrplumber
Tutor
Tutor
I am going to buy a new chime. The chime I had came with a 16 va transformer in a set. I changed it to a 24 va when my video doorbell wouldn’t work. The specs on the chime say 16va so this might be my problem

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
jhainzl
Star
Star

I don’t want a phone call when I am home, but I still want the doorbell chimes to work. Need a way to deactivate phone call but keep ch

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vaulthigh,

When enabling silent mode, both the chime and calls are silenced. This isn't an option at this time.

JamesC

mdrewis
Aspirant
Aspirant

On my Arlo Video Doorbell, is there a way to shut off the Video Call to my phone. I don't want it calling my phone everytime someone rings my doorbell. I would rather my mechanical doorbell ring and not my phone. Can someone point me in the right direction in settings to achieve this?

Thanks!

jhainzl
Star
Star

Arlo needs an update to Silent Mode to allow you to stop phone calls but keep the chimes active.

edrplumber
Tutor
Tutor
This is a problem arlo has to fix ASAP. Both my wife and I are getting calls when the doorbell rings but my house chime doesn’t ring at all. When we are both at work and my daughter is home alone this is a problem.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@edrplumber wrote:
Both my wife and I are getting calls when the doorbell rings but my house chime doesn’t ring at all. When we are both at work and my daughter is home alone this is a problem.

That's a different problem - likely the transformer.  You can try disconnecting the power module (as a test), and see if the chime rings w/o it.  If it does, then the next step I suggest is to replace the transformer (reconnecting the power module of course).

Note this is a problem I had with my own system.

edrplumber
Tutor
Tutor
I will try that. The transformer is brand new I hope it’s not that. I was wondering if it was the chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@edrplumber wrote:
 I was wondering if it was the chime

What model chime is it?

edrplumber
Tutor
Tutor
Not sure what brand chime it is. It was a cheap Home Depot special. I had to upgrade the transformer when I installed the video doorbell because the one that came with the chime was not powerful enough.
silnijlos
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are there any plans to enable selective silent mode?

I totally agree with @vaulthigh here: I, too, share my account and it doesn't make any sense to call everyone's phone every time there is a delivery man dropping off a package. The problem is that door chime leaves you an option to react or to ignore, while the phone call demands some kind of action, even if all you want is to shut it down. This is absolutely unacceptable for people who are trying to minimize the number of incoming distraction on a smartphone. 

edrplumber
Tutor
Tutor
Now my chime rings when someone presses the doorbell button along with both phones. The problem seemed to fix itself when my trial ran out and I started paying for the subscription. The only problem is the chime buzzes constantly.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@edrplumber wrote:
The only problem is the chime buzzes constantly.

Check that the power module is installed properly.  If it is, then you might need to replace the transformer.

What model chime do you have?

edrplumber
Tutor
Tutor
I will check the connections. I had to get a bigger transformer to power the video doorbell when I first got it. The one that came with my chime wasn’t big enough. Is it possible that my new transformer is too big for the old chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@edrplumber wrote:
I will check the connections. I had to get a bigger transformer to power the video doorbell when I first got it. The one that came with my chime wasn’t big enough. Is it possible that my new transformer is too big for the old chime

What chime model do you have, and what are the specs of your new transformer?

edrplumber
Tutor
Tutor
I am going to buy a new chime. The chime I had came with a 16 va transformer in a set. I changed it to a 24 va when my video doorbell wouldn’t work. The specs on the chime say 16va so this might be my problem
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@edrplumber wrote:

16 va or 16 volts?  16 va should be fine (va is basically watts).

What chime model do you have?

edrplumber
Tutor
Tutor
Transformer says 24v 20va

Chime says caution must use 16 vac 10 va transformer.

When I setup the arlo video doorbell I got a signal that transformer wasn’t big enough. I got a bigger one at Home Depot and it worked for a while then stopped. Seemed like as soon as I signed on to the paid plan it started working again but it was bussing all the time. I want to get a chime that is rated for the bigger transformer I guess. Any suggestions?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@edrplumber wrote:
I want to get a chime that is rated for the bigger transformer I guess. Any suggestions?

No recommendations on the chimes - my own are very old mechanical ones.

But consider keeping it simple.   Wireless chimes and some digital ones have caused some trouble.  

Unfortunately Arlo doesn't have a chime compatibility list.  But Ring does, and if a chime works with Ring it likely will work with Arlo.  A chime that fails with Ring will almost certainly fail with Arlo.  https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/209028546-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Pro-Chime-Kit-Compatibility...

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation