Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can more than one Arlo Power Kit Chime be associated with the same Arlo Video Doorbell?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
arlo_chris
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can more than one Arlo Chime be associated with the same Arlo Video Doorbell?

Previously there was 1 physical doorbell with 2 buttons. 1 button rung the mechanical chime on the first floor and the 2nd button rung the mechanical chime on the 2nd floor. My goal is to have 1 doorbell ring both chimes simultaneously, so I bought the Arlo Video Doorbell.

I attached the Power Kit (Arlo Chime) to the mechanical chime on the first floor and replaced the old doorbell with the Arlo Video Doorbell. I attached the wires from the 2 existing doorbell buttons (so 4 wires total) to the new Arlo Video Doorbell. The mechanical chime works flawlessly on the first floor, but it does not work on the second floor. I presume I would need a 2nd Power Kit (Arlo Chime) to attach to the mechanical chime on the 2nd floor.

1. Does anyone know if this would work? Both floors prefer to have the mechanical chime ring rather than buy the 

Arlo Chime (AC1001) which might not even sync. 

2. If so, does anyone know where I can buy another Power Kit?

The Arlo live support was not able to help with either of these questions.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlo_chris wrote:

I attached the Power Kit (Arlo Chime) to the mechanical chime on the first floor and replaced the old doorbell with the Arlo Video Doorbell. I attached the wires from the 2 existing doorbell buttons (so 4 wires total) to the new Arlo Video Doorbell.

Are there two transformers or only one?

You should connect only three wires - the transformer output going to one side of the switch, and the two wires going to the chimes on the other side of the doorbell.  If you wire it that way, one power module should be enough (and it wouldn't matter which chime it is connected to).

What you wouldn't want to do is accidentally join a wire from the transformer to a wire going to the chime to the same side of the doorbell.

arlo_chris
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are two separate transformers, so it sounds like I need two power kits?

Before:

First Floor: 1 transformer

2nd Floor: 1 transformer

Front Door: 2 doorbells separately wired right next to each other

After:

First Floor: 1 transformer with the Arlo Powerkit

2nd Floor: 1 transformer (no change)

Front Door: 1 Arlo video doorbell with 2 doorbell sets of wires connected to it (4 wires)

Only the first floor chime rings now when the doorbell is pressed even though all 4 doorbell wires at the front door are connected to the Arlo Video Doorbell

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlo_chris wrote:

There are two separate transformers, so it sounds like I need two power kits?

If you move the power kit upstairs, does the problem move?

As noted above, you don't need two transformers (and wiring them both together isn't a good idea).  You'd be better off bypassing one of them.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation