Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
tharais
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have five Arlo Pro 2 Cameras connected to a VMB4000 Hub.

I also have an Arlo Video Doorbell connected to this Arlo Hub as well.

The Arlo hub and thus, the five cameras, are all connected to my Homekit. (But, that doesn't include the doorbell of course.)

I use an always on, old iPad as my Homekit hub so that I can access my smart home via internet. And so, if I'm working at my computer desk I can monitor the Arlo cameras, including the video doorbell for activity.

My iPad Homekit hub, my iPhone X and my wife's iPhone 7 plus all have both Homekit and the Arlo app installed.

When someone pushes the doorbell, all three devices give notice and any one of them can answer the video doorbell. 

However, the iPad Homekit hub, if we answer the video call on one of our cellphones, keeps ringing and ringing even after the video call is terminated on the cell phone that answered it.  Until one walks over to the iPad and pushes the power button once or, opens the iPad and signs into the Arlo app and terminates it.

The only way I can find to stop this behavior is to suspend push notifications on the video doorbell but that applies to all Arlo hub notifications and, that's not acceptable.  Or, maybe to remove the Arlo app from the iPad all together?  

Can anyone shed light on this behavior and an answer on how to deal with it?

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tharais,

Try updating your Arlo mobile app to the latest available version and test again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

tharais
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  I believe it is.  On all three devices.

Version 2.18.1 (619)    Jun 30, 2020.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tharais,

2.18.1 is very outdated. The latest version of the iOS mobile app can be found here: Arlo iOS mobile app 

JamesC

tharais
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmmmmmmmmmm............

You might be on to something there.  But, not in the Arlo version.  You see, it was 2.18.1 when I sent that community question a while back.  Right now, it's 2.21, the same version as I have on my iPhone X.

So, it must have updated since then.  Which is possible.  I do have automatic updates for apps set to "on".

That's an OLD iPad Air (gen 1) that I don't open or use very often which I set up as my Homekit hub because it was available and I had nothing else.  So, I might have finally grabbed it one day in the last few weeks when I was bored and made sure all the apps were as updated as they could be.  And then, stuffed it back behind the desktop to quietly sit as my hub.

Because that iPad is obsolete, it won't update past iOS 12.4.8.  Maybe there is an issue with the outdated operating system interfacing to the Arlo app?

Well, just because you peaked my curiosity, I just pushed he doorbell and, guess what?  It didn't do it this time.  The iPad shut down the Arlo video doorbell notification at the same time as my iPhone when I didn't accept from any device.  Maybe that Arlo app update, whenever it was applied on that iPad, fixed the issue.

With the $99 Apple MiniPod out now, I'm likely to snag one to use as my Homekit hub anyway.   But, I'll still need a screened device to see who's at the door.  🙂

Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation