Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell Not Recording

Discussion stats
scott-sandiego
Tutor
Tutor

The doorbell works, I can see the video live, in the web it's set to record motion, but I don't see anything in the library -- it's empty. And yes I have triggered motion for recording. It always alerts me, I just can't get it to record to the library.... help! 🙂

36 REPLIES 36
Guide
Guide
Please let me know if the new base station (VMB4540) will allow you to record videos from from your doorbell. Very disappointed that I did not know this when I purchased the doorbell. I would of purchased a different brand. I have four Arlo cameras presently, plus the doorbell!

Where do you purchase an individual smart hub and what does it cost?
I am not a happy camper with Arlo!!!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pit111 wrote:

Hi I bought 3 Arlo ultra cameras with a 1 year free trial premium plan. 3 month ago I added a Arlo Video doorbell with a 3 month trial which is now expired. So I wanted to get one for the doorbell but that process seems to be way too complicated I gave up trying.

Try logging into my.arlo.com on a PC browser.  Then go into the subscription settings, and select Manage Cameras.  You should see the doorbell in the "no plan" list.  All you have to do is drag it into the plan list with the mouse.

Guide
Guide

Thankyou

Guide
Guide
After following your suggestion in go to settings, but there is no option to select Manage Cameras. I have other options, but not that one. My current base may not be comparable with the doorbell!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@8711 wrote:
After following your suggestion in go to settings, but there is no option to select Manage Cameras. I have other options, but not that one. 

In the browser you should see it here:

subscription3.png

Note I have Arlo Secure, but it should be in the same place with the older subscriptions.

@8711 wrote:
My current base may not be comparable with the doorbell!

The subscription applies to the cameras in the account, it doesn't matter what base they use (or if they are connected to your home wifi).

Guide
Guide

I see what your screen looks like. but mine is different!Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 7.14.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-11 at 7.14.48 PM.png

Paperboy94
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not to sound naive, what is the “local storage”? What do I need to connect to the base station to avoid the need for a subscription. Thank You in advance
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Local storage is a drive that's attached to the hub or base. I prefer to use the VMB4540 and a thumb drive while the VMB5000 uses a microSD card. The older VMB4xxx base stations can use a thumb drive but you must safely eject the drive from the base for viewing on a computer rather being able to use the app directly.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@8711 wrote:

I see what your screen looks like. but mine is different!

It's different because you don't have a subscription.  The person I was directing my reply do does have one.

Also, my screenshot was made from a PC browser (my.arlo.com), not the app.

Guide
Guide

Thanks for your time!

Looks like I am out of luck.

I did try one last thing.  I installed a thumb drive to my hub.  In a few days I will see what videos, if any show up on my computer.  My guess is that I will not have any video from my door bell camera!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@8711 wrote:

My guess is that I will not have any video from my door bell camera!

It looks like the doorbell is paired with the base. If it is, you should be seeing recordings from the doorbell.

But this will require you to remove the USB drive from the base and then connect it to the computer.

Guide
Guide

Thank you very much.  Will try that in a few days!

Discussion stats