Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
scott-sandiego
Tutor
Tutor

The doorbell works, I can see the video live, in the web it's set to record motion, but I don't see anything in the library -- it's empty. And yes I have triggered motion for recording. It always alerts me, I just can't get it to record to the library.... help! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

scott-sandiego,

The Arlo Video Doorbell requires a subscription to Arlo Smart for recordings to be saved to the cloud. This is different from legacy Arlo cameras.

KM2,

Regardless of how the Arlo Video Doorbell is synced (to a base station or directly to an access point) it will need a subscription to Arlo Smart to save recordings to the cloud after the initial 3 month trial has expired. Do you have a subscription to Arlo Smart?

JamesC

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have a subscription? WIthout one there will be no cloud recordings. If you are connected to a SmartHub, you can use local storage to record and view with the app with no subscription.

scott-sandiego
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, thanks for your comments. I don't have a subscription or hub, however, my Arlo camera still records to the cloud library without a subscription. Is this different?  -Scott

KM2
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same issue.    Additionally, when I go into Modes to set rules for my video doorbell I cannot even select "Record video" because the button is greyed out. 

I've noticed that on my device list the Video Doorbell is no longer listed separately from the Base Station, it now falls under the Base station.  Previously the video doorbell functioned as its own standalone smart hub.  Whatever changes Arlo has made have now pushed the video doorbell under the Base, which seems to be creating several issues.  I opened a ticket this morning and was told that because I already had 5 cameras on the Base, I had to upgrade to the multi-device Smart Plan with an add-on for the 6th camera.  I'm not sure why I can't have the doorbell go back to being recognized as a standalone, and I'm no happy with the prospect of having to pay $140/year to keep my system working the way it was.  I decided to try removing cameras so that there are now only 5 devices on the Base but after restarting the Base multiple times and logout/in from the service I still can't get the video doorbell to record.  Still only have the greyed out option for rule selection.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

scott-sandiego,

The Arlo Video Doorbell requires a subscription to Arlo Smart for recordings to be saved to the cloud. This is different from legacy Arlo cameras.

KM2,

Regardless of how the Arlo Video Doorbell is synced (to a base station or directly to an access point) it will need a subscription to Arlo Smart to save recordings to the cloud after the initial 3 month trial has expired. Do you have a subscription to Arlo Smart?

JamesC

KM2
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks James.  Yes, my trial has ended and at the time of purchase I understood the video doorbell would need an ongoing subscription for stand alone cloud storage but remain confused:

1. Why was I advised that I now need a subscription that also covers my 5 legacy cameras?
  2. If I remove a legacy camera, and the video doorbell can now sync to a base station, why aren't its videos stored like any other camera synced to the base station?

It makes sense if the video doorbell was still connected directly to my wifi network a cloud subscription would be required for storage, but if it now connects via the Base why can't those videos be stored locally on the base?

scott-sandiego
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you KM2, that was helpful.  -Scott

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KM2,

You can enable local storage on the base station and cameras that are connected to that base station will save their recordings to the connected storage drive, but the storage drive must be ejected and connected to a computer to be viewed. The library on your mobile app shows what is saved in the cloud. Arlo Video Doorbell requires an Arlo Smart subscription for content to be stored in the cloud (unlike a legacy camera).

JamesC

zakarah
Aspirant
Aspirant
how do I connect arlo video doorbell to record to base station
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager
efeezy
Initiate
Initiate
This is not true. I have 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras connected to a base station with usb external storage. All camera videos are viewable and playable from the mobile app library. I do not have a cloud account.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@efeezy wrote:
This is not true. I have 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras connected to a base station with usb external storage. All camera videos are viewable and playable from the mobile app library. I do not have a cloud account.

All pro2 cameras come with free 7-day cloud recording.  So you do in fact have a cloud account.

Ken_Gordon
Initiate
Initiate

So I am having the same problem...I guess what I have now is just a very expensive doorbell...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ken_Gordon wrote:

So I am having the same problem...I guess what I have now is just a very expensive doorbell...

Do you have a subscription?

ncsuhunter
Aspirant
Aspirant

i have the video doorbell and it is no longer recording or letting me know when motion is seen.  My subscription is not set to expire until June 8, 2020.  It used to work through my Alexa devices announcing when motion was detected and last week it lost signal and I had to reinstall it.  Since I reinstalled it I no longer get motion notices.  I can see the live feed so it is connected.  Like others have stated, there used to be a standalone Mode for the doorbell that you could arm or disarm, that no longer appears.  It was nice to just have the doorbell armed when we were home but not all the other cameras.  Is this a change Arlo has made or did I do something wrong when I reinstalled it?

ossie195
Tutor
Tutor

I have a similar issue. Cloud subs valid thru June 7, 2020 but no more recordings after it went off line last week.

i had to reset and re-add the device but I no longer get video recordings from it.

ncsuhunter
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had to create a mode in the base for just the doorbell to be active. It used to be stand alone outside of the base. After doing that it is now recording and announcing through my Alexa devices as it should. Don't know why Arlo made the change to put it under the base instead of a stand alone unit but it is what it is and it appears to be working as intended now. Would be nice to know when an update is going to screw things up as we dont keep our cameras active unless we aren't home.
ossie195
Tutor
Tutor

Ok...what am I missing?
the video doorbell is still stand alone, it won’t connect to my base station.

right now I have the video doorbell set up to record video when motion is detected, it will also trigger a remote Pro 2 camera to record.

the only recordings I get are from the Pro2 camera.....I get no recording from the doorbell.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ossie195 wrote:

the video doorbell is still stand alone, it won’t connect to my base station.

the only recordings I get are from the Pro2 camera.....I get no recording from the doorbell.

Perhaps double check that the doorbell is still listed in "manage cameras" under the trial subscription?

Nlopez8705
Initiate
Initiate
This is bogus should have went with ring
MDearsley
Initiate
Initiate

Nope.  I record to local storage, all cameras work except the doorbell.  Now I just get a notification for 'motion on Arlo Base', which is odd as the base doesn't have a motion detector.  I must admit, the service is getting worse.  I went with Arlo because there wasn't the insistence of having 'cloud' storage (I have Sync and Dropbox for that, and a dedicated USB drive on the base for the camera feeds).  Now functionality is getting worse and more erratic. 

There used to be settings for establishing motion sensitivity for recording etc, now it's all gone.

ossie195
Tutor
Tutor

I bought the video doorbell with the intent of using it like the Pro2 cameras, connected to my base station.  Well...that won't work.  I am being told that the doorbell is recording but I am unable to view those recordings in the app and will only be able to view them if I take the USB from the base station and view on computer.

What good is that?  I need to see the video NOW so I can act if something is going down on my front porch.

This all seems to be a move to get everyone to purchase a storage plan.

After a call to support I am now being told that I would need the upgraded Arlo Smart Hub VMB4540 where the doorbell can be connected locally and I can view doorbell videos via the app.

We shall see.

If that does not work both the video doorbell and the new upgraded base station are being returned.

so disappointing of Arlo to be pushing the sale of subscription vs. home safety.

Pit111
Initiate
Initiate

Hi I bought 3 Arlo ultra cameras with a 1 year free trial premium plan. 3 month ago I added a Arlo Video doorbell with a 3 month trial which is now expired. So I wanted to get one for the doorbell but that process seems to be way too complicated I gave up trying. The doorbell seems to be included in the camera plan but no notifications or recordings.

Master85249
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pit111,

It sounds like the doorbell is disarmed if you're not receiving notifications or recordings and you have an active Arlo Smart subscription. Are you using the default "Armed" mode or a custom mode for the doorbell?

JamesC

Discussion stats