Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
petpet
Initiate
Initiate

When viewing the Video Doorbell on Google Nest Home, the video is incorrectly rotated 90 degrees.

Strangely, when viewing the Video Doorbell through the Google Home app on Android (11) then video is correctly oriented.

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

petpet,

This could be due to the resolution you have selected for your doorbell. Try reducing the resolution and test again to see if you still experience the same behavior:

How do I adjust the video settings on my Arlo Video Doorbell?

Why can’t I view videos from my Arlo Video Doorbell on my smart home device?

JamesC

petpet
Initiate
Initiate

Hi James,

Reducing the resolution isn't really a suitable fix. I didn't buy 2K quality just to use less 🙂

Either way, it hasn't affected the rotation. If anything, it seems to have made it worse - now it will only occasionally show an incorrectly rotate image, the resolt of the the time the Nest Home gives the error:

"

Arlo 

The camera stream cannot be played right now.

"

Google Home Android app works fine. Doorbell signal is excellent, all 3 other Arlo Ultra cameras work consistenly on both Nest Home and Google Home Android app.

Dunkster
Guide
Guide

I have the same problem, However it just recently started. When I installed the video doorbell a while back , I had no issues with it appearing correctly on the Google Nest Hub ...then all of a sudden the rotation is now sideways.  What is interesting is that if I Cast to the Google Nest Hub at the 1536 x 1536 from my phone, the rotation is correct the way it should be and the way it was ever since I purchased the video doorbell and even the exact same size on the Google Nest screen as if I wasn't casting from my phone. So it is beyond me as to what has changed. I have contacted Arlo support to speak to someone that really had no clue as what I was talking about, especially when numerous times they informed me that it doesn't work...and numerous times I told them yes it did work ever since I installed it  with no problem until recently...They said it was a Google problem and that I had to contact them. Well I did and they were gracious enough to give me nearly two hours of their time to try and resolve the issue. Unfortunately they could not.

They saw no reason from their end that since it worked before why it is not working now .

Though they did ask me if there were any firmware updates recently to the video doorbell to which I replied yes, and also the asked me if there were any app updates , to which I replied yes..

So it is very frustrating when something worked before and now doesn't and can't get any answer or a resolution

SchmidtKY
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same issue. To say you work with google and then show basically no functional stream is bad.
Uribees
Star
Star

I also have the same issue with my Arlo Video Doorbell Essential. And lowering the resolution is NOT a good resolution for this. 

barx
Initiate
Initiate

Hi,

I had the same problem around video resolution.  I found that by changing the resolution to 720 that it corrected the orientation.  I then increased to 1080 and it maintained the correct orientation, I then bumped it up to 1536 and the picture remained with the correct orientation.

The orientation was correct at 1536 when I accessed via the Google Home App, when it was not correct on my Hub

Quite clunky but did manage to resolve the issue.  Hopefully this is fixed in a future firmware upgrade

Cheers,

Al

barx
Initiate
Initiate

Apologies, I posted too soon.  After a period of time when I switched back to 1536 the orientation switched back to 90 degrees, looks like I'm logging a suppor ticket

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation