Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell Consensus

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello All,

I have the Arlo pro 3 cameras and was wondering what the community consensus was concerning the video doorbell.

Does the doorbell work as advertised? (The pro 3 cameras are all over the place)

Do you have it added to your smart subscription? If not why?

Any particular thing that just does not work?

Do most people hook it up with a doorbell?

I know it has to be wired for 16-24 volt. I currently only have a wireless doorbell but I can change it or just run it without a doorbell just powered with a power supply. This is possible, correct?

Any other do's or don'ts that I need to consider before purchasing the video doorbell?

2 REPLIES 2
Dblackco
Aspirant
Aspirant

Answer: NO

Most common issue not addressed:  Activity zones do not work.   Have set/deleted and reset multiple times.   Video captured by motion of video of cars going by and not in the zone (not even close).   Issue not addressed.   I restricted my schedule to just night time as way too many alerts during the day.   Mute my phone at night as not to hear (just want them captured).  If they would address/fix this known issue with numerous posts in community forums the product would work great.  

Amazon Alexa "certified" - dots only no echo show to date.   Still not working/supported to see video on it.   You can setup to announce on dots which does work.  Convenient if you don't have phone on or near you or someone else in the house not in app.   I do not have mine wired to traditional doorbell, only 24v power.

Otherwise, for a first generation product the hardware and features are very good.   Yes, you do have to have a subscription or add it.   The app works well 99% of time.   Now and then I cannot close it or it hangs after answering door, etc.  

The other VERY ANNOYING issue for me is monthly payment/notifications.   GIVE A DISCOUNTED ANNUAL AND PAY UP ONCE FOR THE YEAR!   I just don't get the logic/issue.   Instead I have to approve a credit card charge monthly.   Even if not discounted annual, make it discounted for year 2-3 as incentive and to add more products/cameras!   Aro/NetGear not the best and brightest at marketing and customer support.

Given the importance of activity zones to this product if given a star rating it would get a 2-star from me and not recommend.   I would give it a 4-star if they made activity zones work!   I would recommend holding off until fixed or 2nd gen product at this point.  

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Dblackco  Thanks for taking time to answer, I was beginning to think that no-one was going to.

I was hoping for better news, it sounds like the same problems that's happening with the pro 3 cameras. The one thing I don't need is another problem or a very expensive doorbell that's worthless. All I expect from any product is that it works as described.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation