Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Helli_Do
Star
Star

Hello Arlo community!

I have an Arlo Video Doorbell AVD1001 and integrated it via W-LAN.

The recordings are working correctly, but if someone rings the doorbell and you want to speak to that person, there is a delay of 5 to 10 seconds - unusable communication.

Video Doorbell has full wireless reception (2 m away) and the upload speed to the Internet is 20 Mbit - download 160 Mbit.

I've already reduced the video settings - no success

13 REPLIES 13
Observe7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the difficulty with communicating through the doorbell. No sound. Or maybe it is not loud enough. In any event no one can hear my voice. Any suggestions?

djskyhawk
Star
Star

Be sure the speaker and microphone are set to max, in the app.  Make sure you have not muted the mic in call settings.

djskyhawk
Star
Star

There will always be a certain amount of latency (delay) when dealing with anything digital or internet related.  Several factors will affect this: router, ISP, traffic on your connection, and Arlo.  The sound has to travel to your router, through the internet, and back.  My system gets latency from 2 to 8 seconds, just depends on the day and time.

Damomac
Initiate
Initiate
I don't think this is a good enough response, I have Google home devices on the same network capable of delivering video and sound with little or no delay. I would expect the same from my Arlo device, but I am getting around a 10 second delay which makes it difficult communicating, is there any resolution for this ?
Sungpill
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just bought wired arll doorbell. This is almost useless to communicate. 10 seconds delay Returning
BBar
Initiate
Initiate

5 to 10 second Audio delay makes audio communication frustrating and impractical.   I have +100Mb internet service and a solid mesh wifi system in home -- that's not the problem!

djskyhawk
Star
Star

Delays can be frustrating, as are other things like an app that sucks.  Consider where that signal goes and it's not that bad.  Camera to router to modem to cloud back to modem to router then to your device.

Cmburkhalter
Initiate
Initiate

Just chiming in here, 2/6/22 @ 10:00 AM. 

Just finished a chat support session, and this issue is still being acknowledged by Arlo support and 'being worked on' with no official ETA. 

I spent significantly to attempt resolve this issue by replacing a SoHo router with full wireless Access Point backbone and 2 APs, once of which is 15' between two Arlo devices. After all this, I find these articles and that there's no ETA for resolving this. On top of this, Arlo is pushing a 'security' solution with their accounts. Let's take a moment to tear this apart.

* A 15 second delay issue exists with the Arlo doorbell products. 

* * A conversation is impossible with a 15 second delay.

* * A thief can make away with a package in quite a bit less than 15 seconds.

* * A security solution is likely most effective in helping prevent such instances of theft and intrusion by detecting the activity and alarming.

* * * 15 seconds is enough time for a package to disappear and for a determined intruder to begin to accomplish their task, rendering the Arlo product both useless and a complete waste for Arlo customers. 

I shudder to think what people do when they don't understand the technology at play here. Arlo has a real responsibility here, and they're dropping the ball in a big way. I'm thankful I know enough to take my money elsewhere, but others won't, and that's what I find unacceptable. There should be a disclaimer included for future customers to understand this shortcoming and issue -< before purchase and installation >- so people can properly secure their homes.

Arlo please do your jobs here.

/endrant

jeff_mc
Initiate
Initiate

Ha!  The delay to go to the internet should be in milliseconds, not seconds.  That's assuming it even goes to the internet and not from the doorbell directly to my phone over wi-fi.  I can have audio conversations (a.k.a. phone calls) with people on the other side of the planet with only delays in the millisecond range.  

thersites
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem with a just-purchased doorbell.

I wish I had known this sooner (this is my third video doorbell, and I hate to keep drilling holes in my siding).

Coldrefuse
Initiate
Initiate
Yep. Just replaced the sky bell with the Arlo wired doorbell on a fiber network connection. Considered the SkyBell a discount product however the latency was about one second compared to many seconds for the Arlo. This is really disappointing for the price point.
manolo_winchest
Initiate
Initiate

I just installed my device and I am experiencing the same problem. A ~5min delay. No conversation is possible. The explanation that the latency is due to network traffic (devices, routers, etc) is not applicable. I observe no such delay when using other wifi based applications such as Whatsapp on the same network between two family members. 

I wish I had read this messages before purchasing the doorbell. Very frustrating.

thersites
Aspirant
Aspirant
WhatsApp has vastly lower bandwidth requirements than a video doorbell.

I’ve been corresponding with Arlo tech support about this and one person maintained that the doorbell should be within 10’ of the router or access point.

How far are your doorbells from your routers or range extenders? I’m using an Arlo smart hub literally on the other side of the wall from the video doorbell, and the lag seems much less.
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation