Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Roldays1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just received my wire free doorbell and I am unable to connect through the smart hub 4540 using the app. I did get a chime when I scanned the qr code but nothing happened after that. I have the pro3 system with 3 cameras installed and operating correctly with no problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AVD2001 Base Station/SmartHub support is now available with the latest AVD2001 firmware update. Make sure your Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell is using the latest firmware version and you will now be able to sync directly to your Base Station/SmartHub.

Compatible Base Stations/SmartHub models include: VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000

Please note that HomeKit integration is not yet available for AVD2001. Now that Base Station support is available, we plan to add HomeKit integration early next year. Stay tuned for updates.

JamesC

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Roldays1,

What kind of mobile device are you using? Do you have the latest version of the mobile app downloaded and installed from the app store?

JamesC

Roldays1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey I am using my Samsung s20. I did look for an update per your solution post but have not seen any as of yet.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Roldays1,

Try factory resetting your doorbell and try going through the onboarding process again: How do I reset my Arlo Essential Video Doorbell?

JamesC

Roldays1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well I tried the factory reset and scanned the qr code and heard a chime again but to no avail still did not connect. I am using my Samsung galaxy s20 plus with the latest firmware update. The new doorbell is not showing in the app. Frustrated!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Roldays1,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Roldays1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did contact arlo support and after working with them I was finally able to get connected to my wifi. I also at that same moment received an updated to the app for Android. I still cannot connect with the vmb4540 smart hub which I would prefer to do. This issue is still open as far as I am concerned. Thank you for your help.
winz
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue on Android. Can only connect via wi-fi but not to the smart hub. Yes all firmwares are up to date.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

winz,

Do you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app downloaded and installed from the app store?

When you say you can only connect via Wi-Fi, what issue do you experience when you attempt to sync to the base station? Do you see any error messages?

JamesC

winz
Tutor
Tutor
Hi James. Apps and firmware latest. When adding doorbell to app, there is no option to add to base station (unlike the cameras and chime setup), the only option is to type in Wi-Fi details. Have tried removing, resetting, re-adding, same thing.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

winz,

Currently Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free can only be synced directly to your WiFi. Base Station/SmartHub support will be coming in a later update.

JamesC

winz
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks James. Please let us know when the update becomes available. Assuming the doorbell will need to be removed and resynced to app.

Kaidenn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Glad to hear this feature will become available in a future update as this was the major factor in my purchase.

bubblebathgirl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Can you please enable connection for the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free AVD2001 to SmartHub Item VMB5000?

I see this feature is market as "coming soon" under the comparisons of the doorbells:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/compare?cgid=doorbell

Can you please give us a date when this feature will be available?

Paul

cloudsurfer
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can't connect the wire-free doorbell to any SmartHub. It will only connect to WiFi. This took a while for me to find, as I have the same system you have, and was very disappointed with the outcome. However, the wired doorbell will connect to the SmartHub. I'm selling my wire-free and buying another wired version. UGH. 

djamerso
Tutor
Tutor

I bought the Arlo Ultra 2 with 4 cameras and I am recording the video to a SD card I switched to after the cloud subscription ended. I then added a new Arlo wireless doorbell to the base station and used the cloud subscription for it until it ran out. I then tried to add the wireless doorbell recording also to the SD card like the rest but I found I cannot do so! Why? The only way I can see doorbell recordings is by way of the cloud service which costs a monthly ongoing fee! This is not right.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Is your video doorbell connected to the Hub and not your wifi?  If your wifi you would need a sub. If the hub you could do local like the Ultra 2. 

Edit: Just saw the Wireless doorbell can not connect to a Hub/base. Sorry. 

djamerso
Tutor
Tutor

I am connected to the hub and to wifi. The doorbell cam output is displayable on my.arlo web page and on my arlo web app on my iPhone. On my router, an Orbi ,an IP address is automatically assigned to the Arlo wireless doorbell too. I have been told by Arlo phone support that I would have to pay a monthly fee and I can only see my recordings on the cloud! This is too hard to believe so I am checking again here for information.  With my Arlo Ultra 2 I have the option to either record my cameras output to the cloud or to a SD card on board the hub base. The wireless doorbell cam does NOT allow output recorded on the SD card the hub base

dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea as I added it a late edit the Wire free doorbell only connects to wifi, not your hub as some cams can connect to one or the other.  So you would need a sub for that since it can not connect to record to the Hub. Perhaps a mod could clarify this if something changed from late March post in the doorbell forum.  Either way you would see the doorbell in the app and web page as you said. 

delphijunkie
Initiate
Initiate

Is there an ETA for this update?

I have been trying in vein for weeks to get my doorbell to sync with my smart hub. All official Arlo KB documents gave me the impression that my hardware would work in this configuration. But your post is the first indication that the Essential Wireless doorbell doesn’t actually support this yet. Heck, even the app tempts me by offering to take me to a KB article. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AVD2001 Base Station/SmartHub support is now available with the latest AVD2001 firmware update. Make sure your Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell is using the latest firmware version and you will now be able to sync directly to your Base Station/SmartHub.

Compatible Base Stations/SmartHub models include: VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000

Please note that HomeKit integration is not yet available for AVD2001. Now that Base Station support is available, we plan to add HomeKit integration early next year. Stay tuned for updates.

JamesC

Alin190384
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to connect Doorbell AVD2001 with the smart hub VMB5000, but I can not received calls on the phone or a sound when press the doorbell button. Also I have a lag of 20 seconds. Connected on wifi worked perfect.

I reset it to factory settings several times and switch the connection between Smart hub and wifi. Worked perfect every time on wifi and never when connected to smart hub ( live view available, but with a long delay). 

For the moment connection works with a smart hub, but nothing else. Maybe is just me and I have a broken device, or the firmware need more work. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try moving the hub away from your router. If that doesn't help, bring the doorbell closer to the hub to see if that works ok.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation