Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Miles85
Aspirant
Aspirant
Attempted to install our new Arlo Video Doorbell after some weekend vandalism and unable to get the white LED.

We have been unsuccessful in locating the doorbell transformer even after Arlo info, YouTube, and google. We’ve looked everywhere! Only one more place to look; behind electrical panel. Any advice? We’ve crawled through the crawl space, basement, both attics, the garage, inside coat closet, and outside. Where else could this be?
5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you can't find the transformer... they do sell them along with a wall plug in unit that will work

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home-Improvement-Door-Bell-Transformers/zgbs/hi/6291372011

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could be in the breaker box or pretty much anyplace that has AC power running to it. Mine is mounted on a junction box away from the panel. Are you familiar with what a transformer looks like and the size of the doorbell wires which are likely the smallest wires to be found in the house by a long shot? You can try looking in the basement below where the doorbell is mounted for thin wires and follow them back to the transformer.

You can also just read the voltage at the doorbell using a voltmeter to see if the voltage is in spec. If so, try connecting the Arlo doorbell and see if the setup works.

Miles85
Aspirant
Aspirant

When in the basement, we attempted to locate the wires and follow them to above where the main floor is and the main door is located.  Nothing. 

Are you referring to a plug in transformer that is available?  Will this affect the current transformer if there is one? An electrician is coming this week to identify whether it is behind the electrical panel. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you use a plug-in transformer (I  use one) you don't use existing wiring at all. I'd wait for the electrician first.

tharais
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the various single family homes I've lived in, the doorbell transformer - and sometimes it's the lighted address sign transformer as well - has been in either a closet, a crawl space or the utility closet/room. 

In tract homes in my neck of the woods, the SF Bay Area, it is common for them to be mounted up high on the wall inside the "coat closet" nearest the front door.  They are usually mounted on the same wall as the closet door so they can't be seen when you open the door and look in.  They are mounted on that wall inside the closet and the chime is mounted on the entry hall side of that wall nearby.  This area of the home is often referred to as the entry hall although interior decorators like to call it the foyer (cue French accent).

In my current home the transformer is in the master bedroom closet above eye level, next to the entrance door of all places.  That's because the bell is on that same wall on the other side of the closet, in the entry hall.  In my experience, the transformer is located near the chime and not the doorbell operator button.  

They are usually accompanied by small gauge, twisted pair wiring waded up and dangling around, that I often mistook for hardwired telephone line in the past.  I think builders leave that extra wire in case someone wants to extend the wiring so that there will be a chime in the back yard as well.  Either on an exterior wall on the back of the house or often, inside the crawl space vent where it is out of the weather but audible in the back yard.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation