Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

UK - Arlo Video Doorbell Power and wi-fi question

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Fred37
Follower
Follower

Hi All,

Am here in the UK and was actively progressing towards purchasing an Arlo video doorbell.....that was until I hit the 16v power supply issue.  I now know that ~99% of UK door bellchimes use 6-8v dc and so are unsuitable to be used with Arlo (or any other video doorbell).  So, just replace the doorchime I hear you say....well, that's not so easy as having scoured the web I have been unable to locate a 16v doorchime for sale in the UK!  I could just use the Arlo power supply kit and do away with mains door chime.....unfortunately that means that the doorbell chime then becomes 100% reliant on the wi-fi signal.  That's great for most of the time and I understand that I'll lose video and bell ring capability on any plug in wi-fi chimes when we do get the inevitable wi-fi drop outs but I wanted to have at least one doorbell that was hardwired to the bell push and not wi-fi reliant. 

It would be a simple solution if Arlo offered a 16v doorchime that could be hardwired for the UK market and I am sure I can't be the only one being put off by this shortfall in the product range?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I can solve this without having to resort to major electronics activity/modifications of door chimes?

Thanks,

Fred  

1 REPLY 1
rcrafte
Initiate
Initiate

I didn't have a doorbell, the original wire was somehow removed during a remodel. I was lucky to have a power outlet near the front door and was able to use a power adapter + inline chime solution. It works fine on my Arlo Video Doorbell (wired). Not sure if there is a solution for the battery edition.

Here is the device I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9JHY5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you search for OhmKat you'll find they also make the power transformer. You will need to fish the power line to the back side of the wall where you want the doorbell installed.

Good luck!

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation