Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support for Google nest hub on Arlo video doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
NikD
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Arlo engineers,

I contacted Arlo support to see if and when there will be support for Google nest Hub with the Arlo video doorbell. The guy said he did not know, but asked me to post the question here for the Arlo engineers. Can I please find out if this will happen, while I have to opportunity to return it, but I am happy to wait if this feature will come.

The Arlo Ultra-cameras I have work very nicely with Google nest hub, and it would be awesome if the video doorbell would tie into this solution.

It just makes sense that the video doorbell should display on a display panel like the Google nest hub. I don’t carry my phone around the house with me. Also the kids don’t have mobiles, and they cannot see who is at the door. Would be useful if the doorbell displays video on the google nest hub when the doorbell is rung.

This would fit the video doorbell nicely into a smart home solution, which looks like what the Arlo wants to achieve.

hence PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE incorporate into Google nest hub.........QUICK!!!! 🙂 

Thank you in advance

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Video Doorbell works with Google Assistant to help control and monitor your home using your voice. The Arlo Video Doorbell is designed to show what traditional doorbells can’t, capturing a person from head to toe. With Google Assistant, you can automatically receive notifications whenever the doorbell is pressed. At any time, you can ask “Hey Google, show me the front door” to live stream video from your Arlo doorbell directly to your Nest Hub or Nest Hub Max.

Alexelle78
Aspirant
Aspirant
Perché utilizzando arlo video dorbell wired su Google nest hub l'immagine si vede in piccolo e non riempie tutto lo schermo del mio google nest hub? E sopratutto perché di sera sull'applicazione arlo il videocitofono si vede a colori mentre su Google nest hub si vede in bianco e nero?
abeier
Star
Star

Arlo Community Manager,

I have purchased the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wire-free (AVD2001B-100AUS).  We also have a base station and  3 x Arlo Ultra 4K cameras.  All devices are connected to our Google Nest Hub however we can not see the image from the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wire-free.  It says “The camera stream cannot be played right now”.  All Ultra 4K cameras display fine.  

Can you please assist?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

abeier,

Some smart home devices—such as Amazon Alexa Show or Google Nest Hub—can’t support Arlo Video Doorbell’s full resolution. Try lowering the resolution for your video doorbell and see if you experience the same behavior.

For more information, take a look here: Why can’t I view videos from my Arlo Video Doorbell on my smart home device?

JamesC

abeier
Star
Star

Thanks JamesC, 

This fixed the issue and I can now display the video feed on my Goggle Hub.  Also I read that you can use the Google Hub as a chime.  How do you set it up to chime after the doorbell has been pressed?

Regards

Dunkster
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

Perhaps then you can answer the following:

(1) Since August of 2020 and up til about two weeks ago..When I asked Google to show the front door that it did on the Google Nest Hub it indeed showed  at 1536 x 1536 no problem...orientation was fine.So why does it not work now?

(2) I am able to cast from my phone the video doorbell at 1536 x 1536 to the Google Nest Hub no problem, so why not through calling up the Google Nest Hub as it did in the past?

(3) When I contacted Arlo support they tell me Google not supported,,,then after the 4th. phone call to Arlo support I was informed that yes it was supported but if the orientation was not correct that that was a Google problem..whereby I informed Arlo support that it did work properly....so why not now?

(4) When I contacted Google Hub Support they informed me that there is no reason on their end as to why all of a sudden the orientation is incorrect...though they spent a long time with me trying different things to correct it.

( 5)Downgrading the resolution is merely a work around and not a solution...to something that worked properly before ?...I could have bought numerous other brands of cameras that can do the same thing or even kept my 7 year old doorbell camera that was working fine for it's age and not so high tech as I thought the Arlo video doorbell was.

Sort of reminds me of another issue that I had with Google not announcing someone at the door when doorbell is pressed. That worked fine for a number of months..then it stopped working...When I called Arlo support..I was told several times that it did not have that feature...Hmmm...however magically it too worked before. Then also I was told it was a Google issue and not Arlo's ( hmmm...it did work before).

Then finally after weeks of calling I finally spoke to someone who finally ...finally informed me ..yes that feature should work...and yes there is an issue ...and finally it did work...and I found out it ended up being a coding problem at Arlo.

So James....So if it worked before...No reason that it should no longer work. Overall ..I really liked the Arlo video doorbell ..Until these two issues all of a sudden came up and especially the misinformation from phoning into tech. support is horrendous

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dunkster,

Outside of the article I posted above, I don't have any additional information on this topic. The information in that article has been relevant since April of last year and has resolved the issue for many users as you can see here.

If you reduce the resolution, does that allow it to work for you?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation