Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

So the Video Doorbell has infrared heat motion detection?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Pro-666
Apprentice
Apprentice

This KB (How does the motion detection feature work on my Arlo cameras?) states "trigger when the infrared technology detects an object that is warmer than the surrounding environment."

So the Arlo Video Doorbell will not trigger a motion alert when clouds suddenly cover the sky and change the environment shadow edges quickly or when trees sway in the wind?

I have a Ring Pro video doorbell, and I'm convinced it only uses pixel calculation to determine motion. I've have numerous false alerts from an out of active zone car headlight lens flare that moved into the active zone and triggered a motion alert. I've also had false alerts from a moving tree shadow on a wall due to wind. Plus false alerts from a rapid cloud covering making the tree shadow dull very quickly. Oh, and I recently had a vertical spider web on the camera blowing in the wind at night to cause two false motion alerts because the IR lights were lighting up the web brighter than the background. So I had to go outside to clear off the lens so I wouldn't get more alerts.

Ring obviously does not use infrared to distinguish between hot and cold motion.

So, my question is does Arlo use infrared to determine motion based on heat as stated in the knowledge base article?

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pro-666,

Yes, Arlo Video Doorbell will trigger when the infrared technology detects an object that is warmer than the surrounding environment. The motion sensor is more sensitive to side-to-side movement across its field of view than to movement directly toward or away from the camera. For more information on this, take a look here: How does the motion detection feature work on my Arlo cameras?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation