Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Jnop
Star
Star

it will not scan the QR code. Things I’ve tried:

Changing the brightness, making sure the iPhone is set to light instead of dark, using a brand new iPad, making a screenshot of the QR code and printing it out, clean in the camera, holding it for inches away, holding it further away, holding it closer, cleaning the camera, covering up the IR light, making sure it’s connecting to a 2.4 GHz network, changing the name of the network to make it easier, moving the router closer, disabling the 5 GHz network to be safe, nothing works. The ring is solid white. I press the button and it begins to blink, I hold up the QR code, and nothing. This is been hours. I just had an electrician install everything, the voltage is correct, the wiring is correct, the doorbell seems to be powered on because there is a light, but it will absolutely not read the QR code.

how do you know if the camera is working or not? Is there someway to reset the doorbell? I called tech-support but Francis told me it’s out of his scope of expertise so I’m waiting for someone to call me back. I am not optimistic. 

Any helpful ideas ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jnop
Star
Star

Figured it out! If you take the Arlo off the bracket, there is a tiny pin hole between the wires. Press a paper clip or something in there and hold for 10 seconds. It will REBOOT the Arlo Doorbell and miraculously it will allow you to scan the QR code. I wish this had been included in the documentation. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jnop,

Have you tried all of the steps listed here: My Arlo Video Doorbell won’t scan the QR code when I am connecting it to a router; what do I do?

Please let us know if you still experience this issue after trying to troubleshooting steps in the article linked above.

JamesC

MackenzieB
Initiate
Initiate
I too cannot get my Arlo Doorbell camera to scan the QR core and this is getting ridiculous. I’ve tried for over a week now and will be 100% returning. What kind of device doesn’t come with a manual backup?? QR code does not work on ANYTHING. iPhone, ipad, Samsung. Nothing. I don’t have endless hours to stand outside and scan this stupid thing.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MackenzieB,

If you're still having trouble after attempting the troubleshooting steps in the article above. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

BB2BB
Star
Star

Were you able to get it to scan?  

I have been trying for 30 min.  It will scan if I take a screen shot and then scan that, but then the app never finds the device after that.  support says you can't take a screen shot.  the issue is the qr code is to small, and no way to increase it's size in the app.  silly how did it ever pass QA? 

BB2BB
Star
Star

Try using Screen shot of the QR Code (Home and Power button at the same time). 
Talked to a different tech who said you can scan a screenshot (Home and Power at the same time on Iphone) of the QR code, which you can zoom in on...which obviously makes sense. It's just a QR code.  This does work when QR code wont scan from the app because it's too SMALL!  QA testing anyone?   But seriously Arlo, just make the QR code in the app larger or enable pinch to zoom in the app on the QR code so we can adjust it's size for our phone screen size.   It simply will not scan the QR code from the app on an iPhone SE. 

Sadly even when scanning the QR code from my screen shot, I do get the chime right away, but the video doorbell is never found. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BB2BB,

If you're having trouble scanning the QR code, take a look here: My Arlo Video Doorbell won’t scan the QR code when I am connecting it to a router; what do I do?

JamesC

Jnop
Star
Star

Figured it out! If you take the Arlo off the bracket, there is a tiny pin hole between the wires. Press a paper clip or something in there and hold for 10 seconds. It will REBOOT the Arlo Doorbell and miraculously it will allow you to scan the QR code. I wish this had been included in the documentation. 

BB2BB
Star
Star

Thanks, JamesC. 

I did everything on the list before calling support.  then spent 2 hours on the phone with, first with L1 then L2 support with no luck scanning the QR code from your app on an iPhone SE., unless I take a screenshot of the QR code and zoom in to the screen width.

!!!Please make the QR code larger!!!  !!!or please make the QR code Zoomable in the app - pinch to zoom.  too Small QR codes are the #1 reason cameras can't read them.   This is a major feature overlooked in the development of the app/device.

Once we could get the QR code to scan (scanned immediately when zoomed in on the screen shot of the QR code), after wasting hours trying from in the app, the device would never connect to my WiFi.  

In total was on the phone with support for 3 hours and still unable to use the Video Doorbell.

Kudos for having two factor Authentication.  The Device/App interaction (QR code scanning), and device to wifi network connection still needs a bunch of work.

PS Why is the video doorbell not listed in the "Model (recommended) list?

They are sending me a new video doorbell, but I'm skeptical this will resolve the issue.  I have already started looking at other options.   

BB2BB
Star
Star

Thanks.  I did try resetting a few times.  For me this still didn't resolve:  Camera unable to read the QR code from the App on an iphone SE.  The only thing that worked for me was the take a screenshot and then Zoom in.  The App really should just display a much larger QR code and give you pinch to zoom, so you can adjust the size of the QR code in app to fit your screen (larger or smaller).

QR code did scan if I used a screen shot Zoomed in, but unfortunately it would never connect to wifi network after that, with many tries and config changes to my wifi network from Arlo support, to try to get it to work...still no luck. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BB2BB,

I apologize for the frustrating experience. I will share your feedback regarding the QR code with the development team. Please let us know the results of the replacement doorbell and if you continue to experience an issue onboarding.

JamesC

Rakane
Star
Star
I'm having the same issue. I used another scan website to make my own QR and print it out. I got the chime but the Arlo app will not find my video doorbell.
Please get on this!
BB2BB
Star
Star

What type of phone, so Arlo can isolate if it's coming from specific phones.   Did you try creating a screenshot of the QR code.  a 3rd party website may not generate the code the same way.  but a screen shot of the QR code would be identical and you can zoom in on screenshot/pictures.

Really Arlo just needs to make the code larger in the app and let you zoom in on it, in app.  It's a bug or feature request, depending on which side of the team you sit :).   But really a major oversight in my opinion.  They don't even have working webapp to do this, so you can't just use your laptop screen and go though the process.  mobile app only, and yea super small QR code.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rakane,

Try factory resetting the Arlo Video Doorbell and attempt setup again to see if you experience the same results.

How do I reset my Arlo Video Doorbell?

JamesC

Rakane
Star
Star
I use a Samsung Note 8. Heck, I'll restart the phone and see if that works. Works well enough for Microsoft. Lol
Rakane
Star
Star
I've reset a dozen times.

But hey, my 3 cameras work fine.

Rakane
Star
Star
Your Arlo Case Details
Case Number: 41426460

No one available right now that knows the video doorbell. Awaiting a callback.
BB2BB
Star
Star

oh ok.  must just be a bug in general.   Mine has smaller screen, Iphone SE, and could never get it to scan the code from the app.  If I did a screen shot and then zoomed in it would chime right away, but would never connect to my wifi network.  still waiting for a replacement unit, after L1 and L2 support gave up.  I doubt it will solve the connect issue, unless the replacement unit has a fixed firmware.  No way to update the firmware until after it connects to wifi, so will see.  

Rakane
Star
Star
Copy.

Let us know the outcome. I may have to go the same route.
Good luck.
Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation