Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
cwds
Aspirant
Aspirant

My  Arlo video doorbell connected to a Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9 works well enough.  However with a new Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 running Android 12 the doorbell call function is not usable. The phone rings a good 15 seconds later than one on a different OS or version. The phone rings but cannot be answered most of the time. When it does connect the latency is 5 to 12 seconds, on an older Android or Apple phone the same version if the app works ok with a latency usually no more than a second. Compatibility with Android 12 seems to be a problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Galaxy_A13_5g
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue with both of our Samsung Galaxy A13 5G phones, answer doorbell and only get audio.

Tech support is no help, replaced the doorbell and same issue. All other functions work well, however in live mode the latency is 5-10 seconds. Useless to have a doorbell that you cannot see the camera when someone pushes the doorbell.

Had a cheap Kasa Doorbell when we bought the house and it works fine. I am disappointed because the main reason to switch to Arlo was for the wider angle lens.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Based on some recent posts, it rather seems to me that the issue is restricted to Samsung phones. This may relate to how Samsung has modified Android for their own purposes. I certainly could be wrong on this since it's just an observation.

Perhaps there's a setting for the phone in the phone app that may help? I have no idea what or where.

cwds
Aspirant
Aspirant

The other Android phone I have access to is also a Samsung, but older (S8 running Android 9 - both running the latest identical version of the Arlo app downloaded from Google Play); it seems to work reasonably fine, about as well as the Apple iOS version.  Though Samsung likes to change stock Android, it tends to be with the UI and not to be with the fundamental networking stuff that this app will need - and what seems to be going wrong in my case.  The Arlo app has been out for quite a long time; I'm guessing Android 12 did something the app doesn't like.  It's unclear if the app is still actively supported.

Since I posted I came across a fair few posts from the past 6 months detailing similar problems; the app does not appear to be supported that well.  Looks like I'll just need to move away from Arlo products entirely - would recommend anyone else on newer Android devices look elsewhere for their doorbell solution.  Camera seems to work well enough though.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app continues to work fine on my older Nexus 6 with Android 11 as well as on my Chromebook which supports apps using Android 11. My Pixel 6 started with 12 and now runs 13, both with no issues.

WHy not run it past Samsung to see what they might have to say?

cwds
Aspirant
Aspirant

Those are good data points, thanks for sharing.  In a similar vein it works reasonably fine on my older Samsung S8.  The Samsung Z Flip 4 is using the newer Snapdragon processor, perhaps there is some driver issue.  Will go look at the other threads that were complaining about the same issue and see if there are any common elements. The app behaviour suggests there is some problem with networking.  I suppose it’s possible there is some conflict with another app or service on the device, but as I have little beyond stock installed that does not seem likely. 

If there is some driver issue there isn’t much I can do about it.  If anyone else is experiencing the same issue it would be useful to know what we have in common that is different from the systems that appear to work. 

Galaxy_A13_5g
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue with both of our Samsung Galaxy A13 5G phones, answer doorbell and only get audio.

Tech support is no help, replaced the doorbell and same issue. All other functions work well, however in live mode the latency is 5-10 seconds. Useless to have a doorbell that you cannot see the camera when someone pushes the doorbell.

Had a cheap Kasa Doorbell when we bought the house and it works fine. I am disappointed because the main reason to switch to Arlo was for the wider angle lens.

Galaxy_A13_5g
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE: Tech suport took 15 days to reply and asked the same BS questions, as if I don't know how to set up my camera or phone permissions. Took this crap out and installed a RIng Doorbell, works perfectly first try, along with old the Kasa Doorbell that was moved to the back door. GOODBYE Arlo, your tech support sucks.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation