Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Only one of 2 video doorbells chime

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Donsika
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two wired video doorbells which are connected to the same chime box. Connection done same day, one after the other. The front doorbell chimes when the doorbell is pressed but the side doorbell does not chime when button pressed. The side doorbell was connected right after the front doorbell. Both are connected the same way and have identical settings in the app.I have double checked and redone the connections to ensure everything is connected correctly. If I tap the two wires that connect to the doorbell, the chime sounds but not when connected to the device. I am at a loss as to why the side doorbell will not chime.  Side doorbell is used more than the front doorbell so this is quite inconvenient. It works well in the app. Thanks in advance for any help in resolving this.

Firmware : 1.14.0.0_1117_c9951d1_b4efa46

Hardware : AVD1001Ar1.2

Purchased 12/4/2021

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Donsika
Aspirant
Aspirant
Solved. Had my electrician check it. He thought there is not enough power going to the system from the twosmall blue wires attached one to each terminal. So he doubled up the wires, put it on one terminal then recruited two free unused orange wires for the other terminal. See picture. Now it works.
20220318_132316.jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Donsika wrote:

If I tap the two wires that connect to the doorbell, the chime sounds but not when connected to the device. I am at a loss as to why the side doorbell will not chime. 

Does the side doorbell work when the Arlo doorbell wires are disconnected?

Donsika
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. I disconnected the two wires from the doorbell, tapped the ends and the doorbell chimes.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Donsika wrote:
Yes. I disconnected the two wires from the doorbell, tapped the ends and the doorbell chimes.

I think you are saying you tapped the ends on the AVD1001 connection.

I'm asking if the side doorbell works when you disconnect the two wires at the AVD1001.

Donsika
Aspirant
Aspirant
To answer your question Stephen B, yes the Arlo works well when connected just that I am not getting any chime. Anyway I have figured out why! So when the doorbell is operated, there is a springloaded pin in the chime that moves, strikes a plate which then creates the sound. I had another person operate the doorbell while I watched the action of the pins in the chime. It turns out that when the doorbell is operated, the front doorbell pin strikes the plate but for the side doorbell, the pin in the chime did move but was not striking the plate to make the sound. Earlier on it was Intermittent , that is why I was able to get a sound by tapping the end of the wire. Now it never strikes the plate. So the problem is the chime box!!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Donsika wrote:
 It turns out that when the doorbell is operated, the front doorbell pin strikes the plate but for the side doorbell, the pin in the chime did move but was not striking the plate to make the sound. Earlier on it was Intermittent , that is why I was able to get a sound by tapping the end of the wire. Now it never strikes the plate. So the problem is the chime box!!

It could also be that the transformer isn't able to provide enough power for the combination of the AVD1001s and the chime. 

So maybe replace the transformer first (generally they are cheaper than chimes, if you are capable of installing it yourself). I'd go with ~40 VA for two doorbells+chime (and use 24 V, 40 VA myself).

Donsika
Aspirant
Aspirant
Very interesting! Great point. I shall look into replacing the transformer if it's not too involving. Never done that but I'm sure a YouTube video or two might help.
Donsika
Aspirant
Aspirant
Solved. Had my electrician check it. He thought there is not enough power going to the system from the twosmall blue wires attached one to each terminal. So he doubled up the wires, put it on one terminal then recruited two free unused orange wires for the other terminal. See picture. Now it works.
20220318_132316.jpg
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation