Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
UnreadCoyote3
Tutor
Tutor

I noticed this morning that the image out of the doorbell was really dark and thought maybe night vision was turned off, however night vision was on.

NightVision-On.png

So I turned Night Vision off on the device and my image now looked like night vision was on...

NightVison-Off.png

Is this just a bug in the app?  Or am I missing something?

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

UnreadCoyote3,

Are there lights nearby? It looks like in the first image there is a bright light on the wall next to the doorbell? If there is a lot of ambient light nearby, you might see better results with the night vision toggled off.

JamesC

UnreadCoyote3
Tutor
Tutor

I thought that was interesting too, however when those screenshots were taken this morning all my porch lights where off...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

UnreadCoyote3,

Hmm, could you do more testing and let me know if you experience similar results in those same conditions again?

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

UnreadCoyote3,

Hmm, could you do more testing and let me know if you experience similar results in those same conditions again?

JamesC

brh
Master
Master

@UnreadCoyote3,

The problem is that the IR is so strong that the wall is reflecting so much that the white balance is being thrown off. Try using the Pinch and Zoom settings in the Video settings to eliminate as much of the walls in the image as possible and see if that doesn't improve your night vision. The same can be said about all the Arlo cameras. Any reflections from walls, etc. will cause your images to be too bright and cloudy.

I am having the same problem, BTW, and was able to resolve most of the problem by zooming out the image in the Video settings so that walls, etc. are no longer in the picture.

Brian

UnreadCoyote3
Tutor
Tutor

Brian,

Thanks for the info... so using the pinch and zoom will set the camera focus point per say?

Thanks

brh
Master
Master

@UnreadCoyote3,

no, zooming the image so that the walls or any other reflective surface do not show up in the image will help reduce the glare reflected back to the camera. Zooming will not completely solve the problem but it should eliminate most of the reflections. The IR needs a sliding brightness adjustment if that is possible. One other thing that might help is to reduce the brightness setting in the Video settings.

Brian

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Changing the angle of the doorbell slightly (using the included angled mounting plate) may also help in this environment.

JamesC

jjvay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was experiencing an identical issue.  Had to adjust the "Video Settings" to "Pinch and Zoom" the image to the right (away from the reflective wall) and also turn off the "Night Vision" feature.  Huge difference. 

I bought the video doorbell to replace an Arlo Pro mounted directly above the door.  The Arlo Pro's image qualify is substantially better, but the video doorbell has more practical features for the front door.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation