Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell will not Pair to network

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
nealperkins
Guide
Guide

I have two cameras working in this location. I desired to add the doorbell. Everything was very smooth until it would not pair up. I have been to Level 2 Support. I think they have done their best but the proposed 'possible' solutions sound a bit...

I live in a large complex and I do not have the direct options I have in my other location.

This is a Ruckus modem and router somehow accommodating both 2.4 and 5.0 MHz.

There are multiple Ring doorbells working in the building, as are my two cameras.

There is a strong signal at the front door.

It has been suggested that because there is a 'space' character in my network name that difficulties may be generated.

I have WPA2 but I am reconfirming that fact.

I have rebooted everything...no joy.

Ideas??

BTW, this board needs more lables!

Thanks so much!

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you the owner of the router? If so, either disable the 5GHz band temporarily or set the router to use separate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands (leave the 2.4 SSID as you want it ultimately). You should then be able to connect to the 2.4 GHz connection. Set the router back to the way you want it and all should be good.

nealperkins
Guide
Guide

I am not the owner.

I already asked about this option and was (initially) told this was not possible (???) as both frequencies were accommodated simultaneously. (OK, I also have a problem with that answer. Suffice to say, they didn't know how to temporarily disable 5 GHz. I'm going to try that again.)

nealperkins
Guide
Guide

Question: Is the Doorbell unique in terms of the requirement to have 2.4 MHz for operation? It seems strange to me that the cameras were installed and operate perfectly here.

- The network is WPA2

- The Rukus has a Smart Cast feature of responding to any device in either 2.4 or 5 MHz as presented

- The Ring Doorbells work perfectly on this floor

The network guru is coming over Tuesday. If I still can't install the device, it will have to go back.

BB2BB
Star
Star

The reason they have you disable 5G network is to isolate your phone trying to send the doorbell the 5 network to the phone. 

But the truth is, you are just sending the doorbell the  SSID and key in the QR code.  And as long as your 2.4 and 5 have the same SSID, it makes no difference to your wifi router/radios...your router will accept devices that only support 2.4 to join the wifi network if they pass the correct ssid and key.  

having the same SSID and key for 2.4 and 5 is super common.  This is how I setup all my networks.  Devices that only support 2.4 connect and use 2.4.  Devices that support 5 only, connect and use 5.  devices that support both 2.4 and 5 switch back and forth between 2.4 and 5 seamlessly depending on the signal strength.  If they are close to router they will switch to 5 for faster speeds. If they are farther away or moving farther away they switch to 2.4 for better signal at range. 

Note:  is it worth trying to disable 5 and use 2.4 only to troubleshoot, but in real world there is not reason you have to break out your 2.4 and 5 networks for any device - smart home/smart things IOT; laptops; phones; cameras; etc.  

nealperkins
Guide
Guide

Thank you!!! 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation