Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mearpond
Tutor
Tutor
Evening,
I'm trying to hook up a new doorbell. It says 18 VAC, seems like I have the power but how do I hook up the dongle? I have your standard nutrial hot which goes into the chime. Then the ground is tucked back into the junction box.
I know this is a topic that comes up often I just don't see a lot of solutions. Just a lot of that's not going to work with your doorbell comments. I'm looking for the best route to go I would prefer not to replace it any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mearpond,

If you're referring to the power kit, take a look here for more information: How do I install the Power Kit for my Arlo Video Doorbell?

JamesC

Mearpond
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the response, but I'm looking for how to wire up the chimebox up I don't see that in those instructions. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Those instructions should come with the traditional chime you're using. It's not an Arlo function.

Remember that the doorbell button is just a switch to activate the chime. There are 2 wires from the transformer (neither is ground) so one goes to the chime and then (usually to the doorbell button itself which connects both wires. When the button is pressed, the circuit is completed, ringing the chime. I assume the power kit rather takes the place of the button, using a signal from the video doorbell to complete the circuit but don't know that for sure.

Mearpond
Tutor
Tutor

When I do hook it up, the lights are a steady white and the door chime continually rings. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Someone with a traditional chime will have to jump in for troubleshooting since I don't have one. Have you checked all the video doorbell FAQs here on the different settings?

Mearpond
Tutor
Tutor
Good morning,
From my personal experiences it's quite difficult to get direct answers on here so, I wanted to share my full experience and the solution to solve my issues related to installing the video doorbell.
We just bought a new construction build a month ago. I wanted to get our house secured quickly and as painless as possible. Which we all know that's not the way it goes most of the time. I got all my cameras set up then I bought the video doorbell to complete the setup. I thought " I have a new house should be super simple!" We'll it was after I figured out what works. I saw a lot of people had issues with the Nicor brand. Which was the brand I had. I had the PRCP1 model. Just to test it I hooked it up with nothing else but the doorbell. It powered up, but would constantly keep ringing the door chime. Tried switching the wire connections on the doorbell. That doesn't work just to clarify. I didn't like the idea of changing out my brand new door chime for another considering how clean the Nicor's when it comes to the look. My PRCP1 isn't compatible with the doorbell period. Don't be cheap and run a resistor...On Amazon I went through all the questions and comments on different door chimes and found the upgraded PRCP2 or the Nicor Prime Chime + 2 works plug and play with your video door bell.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DL61S8H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_GWNUFbS38S6YG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't use the little power adapter thing they suggested using on the app instructions.

All I did was swap out the PCRP1 for the PCRP2 which is the exact same dimensions as the PCRP1. Popped that guy in ( follow the instructions it comes with) hook up your video doorbell and your done!
No extra chime or anything.

Hope this helps people looking for a solid answer and not this " nope that's not compatible reply".
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation