Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Live video feed frequently disconnecting

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BBLawrenceKS
Aspirant
Aspirant
This video doorbell was installed about 3 months ago. When attempting to view a live feed above the 720p resolution setting, the camera disconnects after 5-10 seconds. The data wheel begins spinning for about 15-20 seconds and finally reconnects, but after 5-10 seconds it goes offline again. This cycle repeats over and over. But as long as the video setting is set to 720p, the live feed remains connected indefinitely. I’ve tried all the normal reset/reboot/reinstall stuff in an attempt to get a higher resolution without disconnecting to no avail. Download speed at the doorbell is 95 MBPS with 9 MBPS upload. The router is 28’ away from the device with a clear line of sight. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Other than this one issue, I like the doorbell and all of it’s features.
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be signal strength or quality that's causing this. Are there any wireless devices that could be close to either the router or doorbell that could be interfering with the signal?

BBLawrenceKS
Aspirant
Aspirant

The signal strength is always a full 3 bars. The router is near other devices, but they are all connected via Ethernet. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What about near the doorbell? 2.4GHz interference can come from many different things.

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here since it could be a hardware issue.

BBLawrenceKS
Aspirant
Aspirant

The doorbell is the only device near the door, except for neighbors that might be broadcasting on the same 2.4ghz channel. My Linksys router (MR8300v1) by default is set to automatically select the clearest channel. If the doorbell was capable of operating on the 5ghz band I would try that, but it unfortunately it doesn’t. I have visited with Arlo support about this and the polite young lady tried all the suggestions available to her. I’ve played with the three different video settings (720, 1080, and 1526) at different times of the day and night. Each time, the live feed is stable at 720 for as long as I choose to watch, but as soon as I switch to 1080 or 1526, the disconnect/reconnect cycle begins after a few seconds. The only thing I haven’t tried is installing a new transformer inside the mechanical door chime in the house where the Arlo power kit attaches. It’s 30 years old, but I’ve confirmed it is properly operating within voltage guidelines. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation