Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Linking Arlo wired doorbell to existing radio wireless 3 chime system

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gm28
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have bought a wired Arlo video doorbell (with 24v transformer) and want to link it to my existing 3  radio wireless 12v chimes so that they ring when the Arlo doorbell is pressed. I have a 24v volt relay through which I would like the Arlo to signal my existing doorbell radio transmitter to make the existing chimes ring.

I would welcome any help on how best to do this.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gm28 wrote:

I have bought a wired Arlo video doorbell (with 24v transformer) and want to link it to my existing 3  radio wireless 12v chimes so that they ring when the Arlo doorbell is pressed. I have a 24v volt relay through which I would like the Arlo to signal my existing doorbell radio transmitter to make the existing chimes ring.

I would welcome any help on how best to do this.

Is existing doorbell the transmitter for the chimes?  Or is it a simple switch that activates a transmitter when pressed?

gm28
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

I have only just seen this. Thank you for getting back to me on this. 

The existing doorbell is effectively a simple switch that activates a transmitter when pressed.

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gm28 wrote:

The existing doorbell is effectively a simple switch that activates a transmitter when pressed.

The ones I've used in the past have the transmitter built into the doorbell (and the doorbell has a small battery).  Something along these lines:

Is that what you have?  Or is the transmitter a separate device that is somehow wired to the doorbell?

gm28
Aspirant
Aspirant

No its not quit like the Amazon link.

It is an earlier version of this link https://doorbellworld.co.uk/product_info.php/polo-250m-doorbell-p-309

however my actual doorbell is an ordinary push to make switch which then connects to the radio transmitter doorbell mounted inside a cupboard in the house. The internal radio transmitter doorbell is powered by its own  plug in 12v DC transformer

Thank you so much for your help 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gm28 wrote:

my actual doorbell is an ordinary push to make switch which then connects to the radio transmitter doorbell mounted inside a cupboard in the house. The internal radio transmitter doorbell is powered by its own  plug in 12v DC transformer

Ok.  

First you'd wire the AVD1001 to the AC transformer using the existing wiring.  Likely simplest to put the AC transformer in the same closet.

You'd connect the relay to the the same circuit, and use it to switch the existing chime when the doorbell is pressed.  The AVD1001's power kit would be wired across the relay - it's job is to divert power around the chime when the doorbell isn't being pressed (and in this case you'd divert power around the relay).

One aspect here is that the power kit might not work properly with the relay.   But I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

gm28
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for this, especially for explaining the function of the power kit to divert power from the relay. 

I will get my electrician to try this.

Thank you again

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation