Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ColdBrew
Guide
Guide

Just a few things I noticed after replacing the Audio Doorbell with the Video Doorbell...

• The video doorbell requires you have 16-24 volt / 10 Volt-ampere doorbell transformer. I didn't even know I had a doorbell transformer until this upgrade. You can check the voltage at the doorbell. It turns out I had a 10V 5VA transformer and had to replace it. After spending an hour looking for it, mine was behind the ringer. Your not suppose to mount them there but that is where my builder put mine... I ended up getting this one because it is what they had in stock at my local Home Depot. It worked fine.
  • The video doorbell does not use the Arlo Base. It connects directly to your wifi. This means it will not count against your Arlo base limit. Since it doesn't use the base I'm guess that means it doesn't allow you to record locally? I need to check my local storage and see if it shows the video doorbell alerts.
  • Lastly when you answer the doorbell on your phone it uses the build in app on iOS and not the Arlo app (maybe when your phone is locked?). You need to press the Arlo button on your phone to launch the Arlo app which will show video and let you use the canned responses.

If I notice anything else, I'll update.

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ColdBrew,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

For more information on the 16-24 volt requirement, take a look here: How do I measure the voltage of my doorbell transformer?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation