Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Nighthawk9988
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Everyone!
Can someone help me regarding which transformer to buy? I have never had a hardwired doorbell before so now I am told I need a transformer. I have no idea which ac/dc transformer I need. If someone can give a brand / model of the correct transformer I can buy so I can give that to an electrician to install I would be most grateful.

Best Regards

Kim
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RaleighDurham
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't think that the brand matters if by brand you mean manufacturer.  Just be sure that you buy and install one that delivers between 16 and 24 volts at the doorbell.  Here is what has happened to me.  My original transformer was thirty years old and way too weak.  I installed a 16v 10va transformer that delivered 15.1 volts at the doorbell.  It seemed okay but as I wanted to be certain and follow the specs, I ordered and installed another that is 24 v  40va and now I am receiving 25.2 volts at the doorbell.  As that is 1.2 volts too much, I think that I'll order a third transformer that will this time be a 24v  10va  and hopefully deliver to recommended voltage between 16 and 24 volts at the transformer.  

If anyone wants either a 16 v 10va transformer or a 24 v 40 va transformer email me ad durhamsmith47@gmail.com with your mailing address and I'll send it to you at no cost.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

16-24vac...

Home depot ; one of many places you can get them

Capture.PNG

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
RaleighDurham
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting.  I too am a new user or a video doorbell and just learned how to add my wife to the app but I too have a transformer question.  I removed a transformer that was thirty years old and replaced it with a 16v 10va transformer but that gave only 15.1 volts at the doorbell.  I replaced that with a 24v 40va transformer and now have 25.2 volts at the doorbell.  I'm wondering whether that will do harm to the doorbell but it does seem to be working okay.  My thirty year old chime does not however and sounds sick when the doorbell is pressed.  

Is the 24v  40va transformer okay to keep installed?

RaleighDurham
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't think that the brand matters if by brand you mean manufacturer.  Just be sure that you buy and install one that delivers between 16 and 24 volts at the doorbell.  Here is what has happened to me.  My original transformer was thirty years old and way too weak.  I installed a 16v 10va transformer that delivered 15.1 volts at the doorbell.  It seemed okay but as I wanted to be certain and follow the specs, I ordered and installed another that is 24 v  40va and now I am receiving 25.2 volts at the doorbell.  As that is 1.2 volts too much, I think that I'll order a third transformer that will this time be a 24v  10va  and hopefully deliver to recommended voltage between 16 and 24 volts at the transformer.  

If anyone wants either a 16 v 10va transformer or a 24 v 40 va transformer email me ad durhamsmith47@gmail.com with your mailing address and I'll send it to you at no cost.  

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation