Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Installation Power Supply Problem w OLD Chime Wiring

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GAMOM88
Follower
Follower

So, we installed the doorbell, followed the steps but got the orange lights, not enough power message. There should be enough power, however in the diagrams it shows screws on the front, and trans wires. Mine is an old one from the 60's/70/s, there are no screws, it looks like a little clip and the wire just slips in the middle without being secured really. So I have no idea how to install. I tried slipping the little forked ends of the power box in where the existing chime wires are but, its only getting half a connection bc only one tine touches. Support was zero help, just said contact an electrician. Surely there has to be some solution out there. Thanks guys. 

GAMOM88_0-1672878295544.jpeg

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GAMOM88 wrote:

So, we installed the doorbell, followed the steps but got the orange lights, not enough power message. There should be enough power,

Have you located the transformer?  If so, what are its specs - both voltage and VA (or amps if it gives that).

@GAMOM88 wrote:

Mine is an old one from the 60's/70/s, there are no screws, it looks like a little clip and the wire just slips in the middle without being secured really.

You do need to get it to fit securely.  Most chimes (even old ones) use screws - unfortunately yours doesn't.

Does it fit better if you insert the round metal part around the cable?  Of course, you don't want to spread the clips too much, otherwise the existing wires won't make a good connection.

You could potentially cut off the connectors on the power kit, strip the wires, and twist them together with the chime wiring.  Then insert the twisted wires into the clips.

Note the power kit issue isn't related to the "not enough power" message.  You should get enough power even if the power kit isn't installed at all.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation