Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
WhatDoesThisDo
Tutor
Tutor

When attempting to connect to live view on my doorbell, it takes roughly 30 seconds for the video feed to start. This is unacceptable; if I'm trying to view a live feed, I need to view it when I open it, not half a minute later when whatever created the necessity has left.

Additionally, when someone rings the doorbell, the video never starts. It just shows a grey screen with a spinning cursor for about 10 seconds, then a black screen. But I know from the live view that the camera is working, as eventually I can see out of that. 

I'm using an eero mesh network on a gigabit connection. I routinely get 900+ MB down, and the nearest base station is about 20' away. So moving it closer will absolutely have no effect (I did try, just to eliminate that, and moved one of the mesh base stations within 10', there was no improvement).

The problem is _not_ in my house. It is _not_ on my network. I guarantee you, the problem is with how long it takes for the Arlo servers to accept and respond to the request for video being uploaded by the device, and downloaded by the app. 

I've paid hundreds of dollars for this equipment and pay a subscription each month. If I have to $20 per month just to get the response times I expect, so be it. That would still be easier than having to buy and maintain my own local equipment. But these response times are ridiculous. 

So, Arlo team, what are you going to do to improve the experience?

(And yes, I know this is the community site. I am posting here _specifically_ because I want people who google "Arlo video cameras are too slow" to find this post and add their own thoughts. The more people who complain about this, the more likely it is that the Product team at Arlo will actually pay attention and do something about their service.) 

6 REPLIES 6
tx350z
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a similar problem. What I've discovered is connections to the doorbell using the app (all my devices are Android) generally connection within 5 seconds (still too slow in my opinion).

Trying to connect from a browser on Windows has never succeeded. It always times out.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@WhatDoesThisDo

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

WhatDoesThisDo
Tutor
Tutor
To quote Captain America, no, I don't think I will. There's nothing the Support team can do to resolve this, and contacting them would be a waste of their time as well as mine.

The Arlo Product team needs to take note that their infrastructure is not handling requests well enough and investment is needed there.
tx350z
Aspirant
Aspirant

Being a new Arlo customer, I'll take my chances and contact support when I have time. I have 3 separate Android devices running the Arlo app and all work fine. The only problem I've encountered is connecting to the doorbell through a browser. Definitely not a deal killer.

The only complaint (really, more of a "whine" than a complaint), is I had to set-up separate Arlo logins for each of the devices. Also not a deal killer, just an inconvenience.

I would truly like Arlo to publish an API for interacting with their ecosystem. I believe developers in the community (myself included) could greatly  expand features, functions, and interoperability of their products. For example, if a robust API was published, my first project would be an Android Auto integration.

McFly_
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem with this. On the. Netgear app it was faster. I have question as well. Anyone know if I upgrade (currently on VMB400) base station would that help speed? If so what base station works with pro2 cameras? Or do I just need to look at different systems?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @McFly_

The Pro 2 cameras will work with the VMB 4000. I have provided a Knowledge Base Article with the compatibility list here: Arlo SmartHub and Base Station Compatibility

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation