Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to make my Googe Home Mini act as chime when someone rings Arlo video doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
JoeJoeJoeJoe
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo has been boasting Google Assistant compatibility but I can't seem to make my google home mini act as a chime when someone rings my doorbell. How will anyone without a phone know if someone is ringing the doorbell? I don't have a chime otherwise. Is it possible to make the Google Home play a chime when someone rings the video doorbell? 

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JoeJoeJoeJoe,

Google Assistant can be configured to announce when the doorbell button is pressed. Take a look here for setup information: How do I connect my Arlo cameras to the Google Assistant app?

JamesC

JoeJoeJoeJoe
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you for your response.

I have already linked the Arlo Video Doorbell to my Google Assistant app. The Google Home Mini is still not chiming when I press the doorbell button. 

Further, when I test the camera per the setup info instructions you linked, ("Hey Google, play Arlo camera on living room TV"), the TV will display the Arlo logo, then switches to a black screen that shows "Live" in the corner, and a loading icon, but nothing plays and eventually it says "the camera stream cannot be played right now." 

I can view a live feed of the camera via the Arlo app AND through the Google Home app, but for some reason it will not play on my chromecast or my Smartcast TV (I tried two different TVs and got the same result for both). 

My camera firmware is up to date, as are all apps installed on my phone. 

Please advise. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JoeJoeJoeJoe,

You may need to adjust the video resolution on your Video Doorbell. Take a look here: Why can’t I view videos from my Arlo Video Doorbell on my smart home device?

JamesC

Casper3220
Initiate
Initiate

Hi , 

We have connected the Arlo wireless doorbell to the google assistant app as per the instructions but still cannot get the google assistant to announce when someone rings the doorbell. It worked the one time when the google assistant announced that someone was on the doorbell but not after that. Can you please assist.

Current setup -

Doorbell - Arlo Essential  Wireless doorbell

Chime - Existing Chime -ding dong 

Hub - Google assistant 

Current state- When someone rings the doorbell it rings on our existing chime and we receive incoming call on our phone.

Missing - Announcement on google assistant 

Ricrodmail
Initiate
Initiate

I also would have the Arlo Essential  Wireless doorbell and would also like it to show up on my Hub when someone rings my doorbell.  I had Ring that worked with Alexa and was hoping that Arlo could match that feature.

begg
Initiate
Initiate

Well I don't get it...some third party apps can handle google home as 'chime'...didn't try it out but if any third party app can handle it why is Arlo not working on it?? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@begg wrote:

why is Arlo not working on it?? 

https://kb.arlo.com/000055108/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-cameras-to-the-Google-Assistant-app

But there appears to be a bug at the moment, so you'd get more chiming than you want.  People are reporting that motion alerts are also triggering the "person at the door" notification from google.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation