Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired Video Doorbell Chimes Randomly

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
LemusJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently installed an Arlo Wired Video Doorbell using my Hamptom Bay Doorbell Chime (that works either wireless or wired: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Wireless-or-Wired-Door-Bell-White-Bead-Board-HB-7621-02/2061...) and I used the following Hampton Bay Transformer (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Wired-Door-Bell-Tri-Volt-Transformer-Compatible-with-All-Vid...) using the combination that would give me 24 V for the Arlo Doorbell. I have also attached the Power Kit that came with my Arlo Doorbell. The Doorbell seems to be working fine after a few hours of troubleshooting with the Arlo customer service, but the only issue that remains is that  my chime chirps, or at times makes a full chime without anyone at the door or anyone pressing the doorbell. These seem to occur randomly. I read an Arlo Community thread regarding potentially being a missing transformer "neutral" cable that is connected to the "ground" cable, but my transformer does have this cable, and I have it connected to the ground of the wall outlet that is providing the electricity to the transformer and, indirectly, to my video doorbell and chime. Does anyone have any fixes to this problem? Are there doorbell chimes in the market that are better compatible with the Arlo video doorbell? Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Did your chime come with a diode, with instructions to connect that at the doorbell?  If so, you should start by removing that diode (the power module that came with the doorbell is used instead).

LemusJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes, the chime came with a diode that I purposely did not install.  I have installed the Arlo power kit as instructed (one end connected to the "Trans" and one end connected to the "Front," which is were my single Arlo Video Doorbell) is located. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There are a couple of threads here from users with similar chimes - including https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/AVD1001-Video-Doorbell-new-setup-doorbell-dead-and...

They did seem to be able to get their chimes working (as long as they had a compatible transformer).

You might need to exchange the doorbell with the seller, or contact arlo support using the link in the forum page.

LemusJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Stephen, 

Thank you for your reply. I just read the thread you attached as a link and though it is the same chime (Hampton Bay), we have different issues.  My chime chirps from to time, at times, multiple consecutive times, when I have the Arlo power kit at "O."  Now, I have it set at "X" and there is no chime sound when anyone presses to doorbell, but at least I am not receiving random chimes at odd times during the day or night without anyone actually pressing the doorbell button.   I have ordered the Arlo Chime2 (SKU: AC2001-100NAS) with hopes that this will resolve the issue, as I plan to replace the old chime using this one that Arlo just released. I hope there aren't any issues when I make the switch.   For now, I will hold off on contacting Arlo technical support for this issue. When I mentioned this to an Arlo rep on the phone, she stated it has to do with the chime, not the Arlo Wired Doorbell.  For me, all I care for is that the doorbell begins to function properly.  Best.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation