Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Pilsner
Tutor
Tutor

Trying to set up a new doorbell and went through the setup process many times and getting the same error after the doorbell is found on wifi, Error "Something went wrong so your doorbell cannot be registered to your account"

I've done a reset multiple times with the same error. Using android..I've reset the breaker and uninstalled the app as well with no luck.

28 REPLIES 28
DllsMvs41
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the exact same problem. I've repeated every step from the beginning, and keep getting the same error. It does not give you any options. Your only choice is to start over again and end up in the same place.

Stobber
Guide
Guide

Same problem here. Tried multiple factory resets, tried on a different 2.4ghz network to no avail. Also bought a brand new device at the request of tech support and received same error. @Arlo- Please help! Thx! I do have a ticket in for this.

Pilsner
Tutor
Tutor

Awesome they can't figure this out.

ldrehot60
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brand new doorbell same problem.

Pilsner
Tutor
Tutor

Crazy, this must be an android issue. After wasting 5 hours of my life I tried using my wife's iPhone and it worked immediately. Not a fix for Android users but a decent work around.

Pawthorne
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue...

Brand new video doorbell... Installation worked great up to asking for a name of the device and then "Error occurred.. blah blah blah."

Not happy...

DllsMvs41
Tutor
Tutor

Pilsner is 100% correct. This is an Android issue. I was able to set it up easily on an iPhone. If you can get ahold of an iPhone, use that to set it up and then everything will work fine through your android.

I wish I had those four hours back, but at least it's working now.

Arbormeister
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem with my Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell. Found out that my android phone was connecting to my 5 GHz network instead of 2.4 GHz. My phone did not give me the option to connect to the 2.4 GHz network, so I had to access my router admin account and disable 5 GHz (temporarily until my doorbell was registered). Then my phone connected to the 2.4 GHz network and I was able to complete the setup on the Arlo Secure app. successfully.

Mattinaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue with brand new doorbell. My wife and I both have android phones. What's the fix?!?

Arbormeister
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mattinaz,

The fix for me was making sure my phone was connected to my 2.4 GHz WIFI network and repeating the setup process in the app.

Pilsner
Tutor
Tutor

Using 2.4 ghz didn't make a difference for me the only thing that worked was gettifn a hold of an iPhone.

DllsMvs41
Tutor
Tutor

This is not a GHz issue. The Android setup is not currently working, and it doesn't appear that Arlo is real interested in doing anything about it. If you try to set it up on 5.0 GHz at any time, it's not going to let you. My solution was to disable my satellites on my mesh network and walk far enough away from my house that my phone disconnected from the wifi, and then walked back until it connected to the 2.4 GHz band (my network switches to 2.4 for devices that are farther away).

I tried to set it up on 2.4 GHz with the Android app, and was having the same issue as everyone else on this thread. I did the same steps as above on the iPhone, and it worked instantly.

I think your only solutions are to get ahold of an iPhone, wait until Arlo fixes the problem, or go with a different brand.

Arbormeister
Aspirant
Aspirant

It was a GHz issue for me. Once I got my Android phone switched to 2.4 GHz, the setup worked immediately with the Android app on my Android phone. So it is NOT an Android issue.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mattinaz wrote:

Same issue with brand new doorbell. My wife and I both have android phones. What's the fix?!?

1. temporarily disable 5 ghz wifi if your router has a setting to do so
  2. make sure the wifi security is set to WPA2 (AES)
  3. remove any punctuation from the network name and password.
wdmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue without help from ARLO. Case Number: 43249820

Bell & phone find each other, doorbell gets named & then cannot register. I'm sick

of it and will return the doorbell!

Stobber
Guide
Guide

Switching to a 2.4 Ghz network did not fix the problem for me. I don't have an iPhone, so not sure what else to try and have not heard back from Arlo support on my ticket. I have QTY (4), Pro 4 wireless cameras that I'm waiting to set up until this is resolved. I'd really like to have the door bell and cameras all the same brand, so will wait until week's end. If this isn't resolved by then, I'll return everything and switch to a different brand. This is my first experience with Arlo and unfortunately, it's not been a smooth one.

rawniee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried switching to a 2.4 GHz and resetting the doorbell and it didn't work on my Android phone. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Stobber
Guide
Guide

Got a reply from Arlo Support asking me to try with an iPhone.  I don't own an iPhone nor do I have easy access to one.  I asked if they'd kindly send me one.  

Lolllee2nd
Initiate
Initiate

There doesn't appear to be a fix for this yet. Has anyone been given an estimate on how long fixing this issue will take? We spent hundreds of dollars at bestbuy on new cameras and the doorbell, and they can't be used. We were online with Arlo support for about and hour. We tried resetting the doorbell, using my ipad, and moving our wireless router closer to the doorbell. We verified we were on 2.5 Ghz. Nothing worked. Finally, Arlo tech support just said it was a known issue that started 2 days before we called (so about 10 days ago now) and Arlo is working on it. We've tried twice more since them, using both android phones and my ipad. It's weird that installation works for some iphone/ipad people and not others. It didn't work for us. We get the error when we try to name the doorbell, so AFTER the doorbell confirms it found our wireless network.

Stobber
Guide
Guide

I still have the same problem.  The only follow up I've received from Arlo on my support ticket was asking me to try setting up the Doorbell with an Apple device.  I don't have an Apple device.

Is this issue specific to Doorbells?  Anyone experiencing it with Pro4 cameras?

Thx!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should now be resolved with the latest version of the Arlo Secure app. Please download the latest version of the Arlo Secure app available in the app store and then attempt to onboard your Arlo device again.

JamesC

Stobber
Guide
Guide

Arlo contacted me 4 hours after James sent the notification that the issue was fixed and stated that they did not have a timeline for the fix, but are working on it.  I'll try again later today to see if I can get it to work. 

Pawthorne
Aspirant
Aspirant

Heya JamesC,

How about including the version number of the "latest version"... because the one in the app store was released 12/1/2022 and that was the day before most of these posts.  So, I'm guessing that you have a new version coming out and perhaps Google Play Store hasn't approved/released it yet?

Either way - the current version 

Pawthorne_0-1670616448615.png

... still doesn't work.  It will not allow the device to be named.

Stobber
Guide
Guide

I was able to borrow an iPhone.  I was able to use it to set up the doorbell and name it successfully.  After that, I was able to access the doorbell on my Android device.  That was the only work around Arlo provided.  Nothing more on a fix for being able to set up and name a doorbell from an Android device. Problem solved for now.  Hoping I don't have the same problem when setting up my wireless cameras. 

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation