Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell not recording to direct storage

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
PC01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a VMB base station and several cameras that are successfully recording to Direct Storage device but I can’t get the doorbell to record. I have tried setting up a rule but the record option is grayed out. Is there a workaround or do I need an upgraded base station?

7 REPLIES 7
PC01
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMB4000

Sthpaw01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also saw my doorbell not recording to the cloud. I do not have a subscription service. I was wondering if connecting my hub to direct storage was the way to go to fix my problem but apparently you are having a problem with that. I would like to know the answer to this problem with the doorbell not recording video at all for us. 

Edit: I see this product has a new firmware update from 2/22. My assumption is Arlo broke the recording feature on the doorbell with the new firmware. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PC01 wrote:

VMB4000

The VMB4000 doesn't support direct access to local storage.  You need to remove the USB storage and connect it to a PC to see the locally recorded footage.  All the footage you are seeing in the app (and my.arlo.com) is in the cloud - which requires a subscription for the video doorbells (like all newer cameras).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sthpaw01 wrote:

I also saw my doorbell not recording to the cloud. I do not have a subscription service. I was wondering if connecting my hub to direct storage was the way to go to fix my problem

What base model do you have?

@Sthpaw01 wrote:

My assumption is Arlo broke the recording feature on the doorbell with the new firmware. 

Not the issue for @PC01 (assuming the VMB4000 is the correct base).

PC01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I have a VMB4000 and I remove my USB and can see everything but the doorbell recordings and the software does not allow me to use the record option under the doorbell settings.  I gather that there is no way or backdoor way of recording the doorbell to the the USB storage without a subscription. Would getting a VMB 4500 or VMB5000 make a difference?

Sthpaw01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hub model is VMB4000.

I had video recordings working on it about 2 weeks ago and now all I see is the notifications about motion without the recording of it. That is why my assumption is Arlo broke video recording with the new firmware release. 

Edit: Or did my trial run out? I installed it in the beginning of Nov last year. You said the video doorbells require a subscription to record to the cloud so maybe its because my trial is over?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PC01 wrote:

Yes I have a VMB4000 and I remove my USB and can see everything but the doorbell recordings and the software does not allow me to use the record option under the doorbell settings. 

Is the doorbell connected to the VMB4000?  Or is it connected to your home wifi?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation