Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 49 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
ewto16
Star
Star

My wired Arlo doorbell started going offline about once every two weeks two months ago. Once it is offline, the only thing I can go is turn the power off to it for like 30 minutes and then turn it back on. That resets it and brings it back to life. Doing so requires turning off a breaker that shuts down a fairly significant portion of the house, so this is super inconvenient.

Anyone else having this problem? It worked just fine previously. My network hasn't changed at home and there's no reason for it not to be getting plenty of power.

49 REPLIES 49
dingdong_1
Tutor
Tutor

Looking for an update.   Camera can’t make it more than five days without being reset.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating reports of this behavior. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

dingdong_1
Tutor
Tutor

Just wondering, will Arlo issue a refund to my subscription fee for all this downtime?

Dmurphy57
Guide
Guide

Welp the door bell went offline again. 

Arlo mod, what does that grayed out icon mean next to battery and wifi?

1000004509.png

 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dmurphy57 wrote:

Arlo mod, what does that grayed out icon mean next to battery and wifi?

I'm not a mod, but the answer is here:

Motion Detection

• If the icon is light gray, motion detection is disabled.
  • If the icon is black, motion detection is enabled.
  • If the icon is orange, the camera is currently detecting motion.
Dmurphy57
Guide
Guide

Thank you StephenB. 

So that would mean that the device has power and wifi but is unable to detect motion/work. 🫤

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dmurphy57 wrote:

So that would mean that the device has power and wifi but is unable to detect motion/work. 🫤

Not set to detect motion for sure. That could be linked to the offline status.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dmurphy57 

Did you receive my private message? How is your doorbell performing now?

Defunctdoorbell
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have been dealing with this issue for the last two years.  Every week to two weeks the doorbell disconnects from WiFi.  It is a gen1 wired doorbell.  Have a yearly subscription and I am over it.  I too travel and cannot deal with having to delete and the try to re-add the device over and over and over again, just to have it disconnect shortly after.  I also paid for a yearly subscription, of which I have maybe gotten 20 days of working time in 6 months.  Arlo, will you reimburse me for the other half of my yearly subscription as I cannot continue with the doorbell?

Defunctdoorbell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Absolutely, with the same exact product, but it’s been for about 6 months now.  Initially 3 years ago it was fine without a subscription, then got to start disconnecting when I had one, then got worse and worse to the point you are at.  I am just over it.  I am sure I’ve reconnected my doorbell a minimum of 20 times after it changes to ‘disconnected’ and fails to record anything. 

mikeharts3644
Aspirant
Aspirant

so is there a fix for this issue?

Jhena23
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem..It is so hassle..If you change your location then the camera went offline...If i willt ry to connect it to arlo hub it is not recognized and arlo Firmware can not be upadated...so I will just connect it to wifi but the problem with wifi is qhen ypu change the location...I think the doorbell wirefree only recognizes the wife router it was connected at home and not outside the owners location...I hope that the company can find solutions about this...it is really takkng time to connect then offline again just because you move from 1 place to another.

Dmurphy57
Guide
Guide

@ShayneS  - hello yes, it's been working for over 2 weeks now.

Thank you!!

Jhena23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think you need to open your mobil data which is the wifi connection you used when installing it in your house..I tried it now and it works..But if i used my sister wifi connection because i was visiting her it can be offline...so i know now that i sjoyld used the same wifi network everytime i want to check.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Defunctdoorbell 

How is the doorbell treating you?

Defunctdoorbell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I went to check the doorbell today and it is disconnected. Worked for a full 22 days in a row which is a record.  This still obviously is not good.  There may be something to the earlier post mentioning an issue with the checking in on it.  Perhaps you can only connect to the camera using the house WiFi 2G it is also connected to, or it blows out the connection?

Anyhow, it’s still not great.  Appreciate the help to try to fix this thing. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Defunctdoorbell 

Thank you for the update. I gave this info to the dev team and I'm waiting for more info. 

AMitchCan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please let me know when you find a solution. I have had the same problem for years. My camera disconnects constantly despite having power and a strong internet connection. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@AMitchCan 

Do you have any other devices experiencing this symptom? 

AMitchCan
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS 

No my other device works perfectly. It's just the doorbell camera I'm having issues with.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it's a wireless model, bring the doorbell indoors to see if that makes a difference. House construction, signal strength/quality, etc. can all affect the connection so moving it may make a big difference.

AMitchCan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey thanks for the reply. It's a wired model so I cannot bring it in unfortunately. I really don't think it's the wireless signal. When the camera is offline, it cannot find a SSID, however, my router tells me it's connected to the doorbell and that the signal strength is excellent. It's like the doorbell forgets my network.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AMitchCan wrote:

When the camera is offline, it cannot find a SSID

How do you know that???

@AMitchCan wrote:

however, my router tells me it's connected to the doorbell and that the signal strength is excellent. It's like the doorbell forgets my network.

It the router shows it is connected, then it's not at all like the doorbell forgets your network.

Have you tried pinging the doorbell when it is in this state?

AMitchCan
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB 

I guess I don't know that for sure, but when my doorbell is connected, in the device settings I can see my wifi network name. When the device is not connected, in device settings all I see is SSID. When I click on SSID there are no networks shown. However, in this state, my router shows it is connected to the doorbell. 

No I haven't tried pinging the doorbell. I don't know what that means.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AMitchCan wrote:

However, in this state, my router shows it is connected to the doorbell. 

At the end of the day, if the router shows that it is connected, then it almost certainly is connected.  It's the app/Arlo Cloud that are confused.

@AMitchCan wrote:

No I haven't tried pinging the doorbell. I don't know what that means.

https://www.howtogeek.com/355664/how-to-use-ping-to-test-your-network/

Discussion stats
  • 49 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation