Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell Requirements

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Hellogd1
Follower
Follower
Box says requirement is 16V to 24V, 10VA transformer. How important is 10VA? I have 24V 20VA transformer, will this affect the doorbell lifespan?
5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That the minimum spec. More capability isn't a problem - it's just what the transformer is capable of, not what the doorbell will draw.

Captainbiggulp
Aspirant
Aspirant

The VA rating of a transformer is a maximum. When the Arlo folks specify that your existing transformer must be at least 10VA, anything in excess of that is OK. Many doorbell transformers sold by the big box stores are in the range of 20-30VA and so far I have seen none that go below 10VA. Your transformer is more than capable.

laas0504
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where did you find your transformer?
Captainbiggulp
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can purchase a 120V AC to 24V AC transformer at any one of the big-box stores or on Amazon. If this is just for Arlo, make sure that it is 10VA or greater. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Captainbiggulp wrote:

The VA rating of a transformer is a maximum. When the Arlo folks specify that your existing transformer must be at least 10VA, anything in excess of that is OK. 

FWIW, your two sentences are potentially confusing.  10 VA is the minimum requirement for the doorbell.  Though it is true that a 10 VA transformer won't deliver more than 10 VA (but will deliver less if the doorbell+chimes don't need that much power).

In any event, if you are replacing the transformer, I suggest checking your chime specs first.  If it is limited to 16 volts, then get 16V/30VA.  If it can handle 24 volts, then get 24V/40VA.  You should be able to find either for $25 or less (US pricing).  

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation