Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Diana6515
Guide
Guide

I have a free subscription, but already have 5 cameras (which I understand is the max for the free service). If I got the video doorbell would that count?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Diana6515,

The Arlo Video Doorbell comes with a 3 months free trial of Arlo Smart, which enables users to store their videos in the cloud for up to 30 days. After the included 3-month trial of Arlo Smart, users can continue storing their videos in the cloud with a paid subscription, which they can view from anywhere through the Arlo App.

JamesC

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Diana6515,

The Arlo Video Doorbell comes with a 3 months free trial of Arlo Smart, which enables users to store their videos in the cloud for up to 30 days. After the included 3-month trial of Arlo Smart, users can continue storing their videos in the cloud with a paid subscription, which they can view from anywhere through the Arlo App.

JamesC

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

If I read his question correctly, he is asking if the Arlo Video Doorbell will count as another camera on a subscription plan?

So for example if a customer already has 20 cameras maxing out his/her plan, then adds a new Arlo Video Doorbell, will this count as another camera driving the total to 21 cameras on their subscription plan? I think he's asking for clarification from Arlo.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@martincc wrote:

If I read his question correctly, he is asking if the Arlo Video Doorbell will count as another camera on a subscription plan?

Or maybe he is thinking that adding the doorbell will mean his existing cameras would also need a subscription (since he'd be over the limit of 5 for the free account).

If that's the issue, then there is a workaround.  You can create a second account for the doorbell, and then grant access to the existing cameras so they can be viewed and controlled from the new account.

Diana6515
Guide
Guide

I might try this. Thank you for the suggestion!

DupuisUUU
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a free subscription, but already have 5 cameras which I understand is the max for the free service.

Kevin_In_Ky
Tutor
Tutor

So the Arlo video doorbell camera is useless without a paid subscription? 

I wish the marketing were more clear that Arlo Smart subscription is MANDITORY for the camera to work.

brh
Master
Master

After the Free 3 month trial, the doorbell will require a paid subscription to store the videos in the cloud regardless of the number of cameras on the Basic Free Plan. Currently there is no Local Storage, although that might change if Arlo can pair the doorbell to a hub.

Since Arlo went public and broke away from Netgear, it appears that all new products will require paid subscriptions.

Brian

Kevin_In_Ky
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for confirming.  I was just saying that I think they need to make it clear that the camera is pretty much worthless without a monthly subscription.

scirdan
Star
Star

I have arlo pro cameras (3) and i am paying $0 for 7 days rolling storage on those, if i by the video doorbell, and i want to continue to pay $0, what does the doorbell do? Can you look at any history at all? The nest hello lets you go back 3 hours for $0 monthly fee..

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

scirdan,

Without an Arlo Smart subscription, Arlo Video Doorbell recordings will not be saved to the cloud. The Arlo Video Doorbell will still call your mobile device on button presses, send push notifications on motion detection and can be live streamed without a subscription.

JamesC

jchristophj
Initiate
Initiate

This has already been answered but for further clarification: 

• the Video Doorbell would not be counted as another camera. It's a standalone device that doesn't directly integrate with your existing Arlo system. It currently will not link to your existing base station but is connected directly to you home network
  • After the first three months, you're required to subscribe if you want stored videos for your Video Doorbell
  • The Basic plan (free 7 days of cloud storage) is no longer available to new setups. 

It's really too bad Arlo has done away with The Basic Plan and that you can't link the doorbell to an existing base station. If I signed up for every subscription that has been advertised to me today I'd be broke. From streaming services to meal preparation, and monthly car wash subscriptions. I'm tired of everyone trying to nickle and dime me with all the subscription based pricing models. 

I ended up taking my doorbell (and an additional camera) back the store. I may come around if I'm unable to find a suitable alternative for but for now....instead of Arlo getting $350 between doorbells and cameras they will get $0 - not to mention what I would have spent for a small business that currently uses Arlo cameras. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jchristophj wrote:
  • The Basic plan (free 7 days of cloud storage) is no longer available to new setups. 

Not quite true.  It's not available with the Pro 3, Ultra, or Video Doorbell - but it remains available for new purchasers of the old cameras.  https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

@jchristophj wrote:

If I signed up for every subscription that has been advertised to me today I'd be broke. 

I'm tired of everyone trying to nickle and dime me with all the subscription based pricing models. 

I get that.  The dilemma for the businesses is that if they don't charge for their services, they eventually go broke.  As the installed base grows, you reach a point where new sales profits aren't enough to cover the service costs.

Arlo's solution with the Pro-3 and Ultra is to provide free access to local storage - which actually will give you more storage than 7 days.  Hopefully they will find a path to do that with the video doorbell.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

As much as I at times start to feel like some Bull being tormented by these monthly subscription fees for so much (software by Adobe, cameras, etc.) I think back to why I bought Arlo cameras - it was because the Izon company, whose cameras I had installed before, went belly up. Izon used to offer nice little powered  compact 720 res cameras and with free monitoring and storage. But, as I understand it, Izon went out of business because the volume of new sales could not sustain their expenses; I had actually posted a detailed review of Izon cameras (Amazon?) where I mentioned my concern about how a camera company can sustain growth, R&D, etc., especially as new cameras were starting to appear (including Arlo).

After Izon closed, and with not much advance notice, my study of the 'state of the art' in easily deploy-able cameras pointed me to install the original Arlo cameras - attracted again in part by the free monitoring of so many cameras.

Since then I was generally happy with the Arlo, Arlo Pro, Arlo Q, Arlo Pro 2 cameras - but was often frustrated by their at times asinine Customer Service. For much of 2019 I became downright angered by the problems caused by Arlo Technologies, Inc. software development (and worse, management's apparent lack of giving a damn): my browser Arlo devices screen still shows orange USB Drive icons flashing on the bottom right of several cameras, there remain problems with Flash when using browsers to access Arlo cameras (some help was found on this forum posted by users, though NOT even an acknowledgment of this from Arlo), video recording clipping or freezing the video tracks at about 14 seconds. Some signs Arlo management actually is hearing some of the complaints -  my Geofencing seemed to be working better over the past day or two.

M

vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agree, its not very clear and I’m quite surprised that this unit was not designed to connect to the Arlo Hub, given that there cameras all require the hub. The hub allows for seven days of recording free. I think they are starting to focus on making money w the subscription plans and also think they just rushed this to get out before Christmas.

The RomeoBell seems like a product that does what is required w no subscription fee.
rmeintzer
Initiate
Initiate
So true! I was going to jump at this as the motion detection on my Sky Bell is really funky and I love my Arlo system with hub. So disappointing....and poorly advertised and promoted.
jealousblues
Initiate
Initiate

I understand paying for cloud based storage (though the entire reason I chose Arlo in the first place was because they HAD the best free storage.  I would no longer consider them at all now) but to not allow local storage through the hub when previous cameras had that option is lame.

I know they dont want to make people buy hubs but at least let it connect.  Its pathetic that their new cameras cant do this when the old technology can.

I will be looking at other options in the future for my cameras and will not be buying their doorbell.

I can at least SOME storage with their competitors.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jealousblues,

The Arlo Engineering team is working on implementing compatibility between the Arlo Video Doorbell and select Arlo Smart Hubs and base-stations. Stay tuned for more details as we prepare to release more details surrounding this upcoming support in the coming months.

JamesC

Zzz555arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Keep developing! I understand challenges of market, free plan but love products.
-A-
Initiate
Initiate
I totally agree, I purchased this doorbell with the understanding that I would not have to buy the subscription. I probably would not of gotten it if I had known. I got it when it was first released and everything I could find at the time said free 7 day cloud storage.
freddiek34
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have only for cameras and with the video doorbell that would be my fifth camera can I still use it on the free subscription where the video is out there for 7 days
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

freddiek34,

To save content to the cloud with Arlo Video Doorbell, a subscription to Arlo Smart is required. Unlike legacy Arlo cameras, the Arlo Video Doorbell does not include free 7 day cloud storage.

JamesC

TXArloUser
Tutor
Tutor

Unlike the other Arlo video-capable devices which come with 1 week of video clip storage, the video doorbell REQUIRES an Arlo monthly subscription to store ANY videos. This major difference is not mentioned in any marketing materials. For those who have not purchased other Arlo products in the past this may not be a big deal. For those of us who already own other equipment and have the reasonable expectation that 1 week of video clips is included with the purchase of additional Arlo products, this is VERY disappointing. Especially when you don't find out until you have purchased and installed the doorbell.

And... the 3 month free teaser subscription to Arlo Smart does not equal a life time of free video storage.

Arlo, change your marketing materials so that your long-time customers understand that they have to pay to have video clips from the video doorbell stored on your servers.

TXArloUser
Tutor
Tutor

I agree 100%. I did not know that a subscription was going to be mandatory with the video doorbell. Not a good experience to purchase a product and install it only to then find out it does not work as expected. This difference between the doorbell and the other cameras needs to be made very clear in the marketing materials.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TXArloUser wrote:

I did not know that a subscription was going to be mandatory with the video doorbell. 

I get that it would be a stunner to find that out after purchase.

I am wondering where you bought it, and what (if any) reviews you read before hand?  While it is (regrettably) relegated to a footnote on the web page, it was clearly stated in all the reviews I read.  Though I already knew from the Ultra/Pro3 launches that subscriptions were required for new camera models.