Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting the Arlo Video Doorbell AVD1001 without a chime

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
encemoment
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't know version, don't know firmware. Running Mac OS 10.15.4 (Catalina). I don't have a chime, but I have a 24v transformer from my last chime. If I connect the Power Kit to the two terminals, and connect those same terminals to the Arlo Video doorbell, will that work. I think that I need to set the Power Kit to Bypass. But I don't want to damage the doorbell. I know the function of the Power Kit, but since I don't have an electrical schematic for the hook-up, I don't see how the Power Kit works with the doorbell. 

Power Kit + TransformerPower Kit + Transformer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
encemoment
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for you response Stephen. I decided to buy a chime after all, because I wanted the person ringing the doorbell to give feedback that the button press was received. But after buying the chime - without a transformer - I read that for this chime,  the transformer must be 16v.  with 10 - 15 watts. So then I had to buy a new transformer because the one in my photo was 24v. Finally I got everything connected and working. 

I set everything up temporarily in the garage so that I could check it out easily. I first set it up with the back of the doorbell off; and, of course, Arlo included an interlock that prevents it working that way. So I put the back on. Since I wasn't ready to install the Power Kit permanently, I just let it hang from its wires. But it was hanging upside-down. That was when I found out that it must be right-side up in order for everything to work properly - another interlock. So it is running now, but I have additional questions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It should work fine w/o the power kit being installed at all.

The power kit is installed at the chime (which you of course don't have).  A traditional doorbell is a simple switch, so the chime is only powered when the doorbell is pressed.  But the video doorbell is always drawing power, and that power would be flowing through the chime all the time if the power kit wasn't installed.

In the normal mode, the power kit diverts power, so that it only flows through the chime when the doorbell is pressed.

In bypass mode, it diverts power away from the chime all the time.  With your setup, I think bypass mode would divert power away from the doorbell itself - which wouldn't work. 

encemoment
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for you response Stephen. I decided to buy a chime after all, because I wanted the person ringing the doorbell to give feedback that the button press was received. But after buying the chime - without a transformer - I read that for this chime,  the transformer must be 16v.  with 10 - 15 watts. So then I had to buy a new transformer because the one in my photo was 24v. Finally I got everything connected and working. 

I set everything up temporarily in the garage so that I could check it out easily. I first set it up with the back of the doorbell off; and, of course, Arlo included an interlock that prevents it working that way. So I put the back on. Since I wasn't ready to install the Power Kit permanently, I just let it hang from its wires. But it was hanging upside-down. That was when I found out that it must be right-side up in order for everything to work properly - another interlock. So it is running now, but I have additional questions.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation