Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chime buzzing

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Sgleblan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our video doorbell worked perfectly for about a week. No buzzing and no ghost chimes. I work from home so I am there pretty much 24/7. This morning all of the sudden the doorbell started ringing and there was a terrible buzzing noise coming from the chime. The chime was only about 10 years old but we went ahead and put in a new transformer and chime.. Hooked everything back up and it was still buzzing and ringing. So we removed the Arlo power device and removed the Arlo doorbell and put the old doorbell back on. It is reading 18V at the doorbell with and without the Arlo power device hooked up. There is no buzzing either way with the old doorbell in place. I think it is weird that it worked perfectly for a week. Is it possible something failed in the Arlo doorbell unit itself? I feel like I have tried every possible troubleshooting option. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sgleblan wrote:

Our video doorbell worked perfectly for about a week. No buzzing and no ghost chimes. I work from home so I am there pretty much 24/7. This morning all of the sudden the doorbell started ringing and there was a terrible buzzing noise coming from the chime.

I am thinking this is with the AVD1001 doorbell model.

Is the powerkit correctly installed (not sure if that is what you mean by the "power device" or not)?

Sgleblan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes that is the correct doorbell and we followed the instructions on using the power kit. It worked for a week, so I don’t see how the powerkit could be installed incorrectly. I’ve checked that with the powerkit I’m still getting sufficient voltage at the doorbell.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sgleblan wrote:

I’ve checked that with the powerkit I’m still getting sufficient voltage at the doorbell.

Generally the chime buzzing means that the chime is receiving power when the doorbell isn't pressed. The job of the powerkit is to divert power around the chime to make sure that doesn't happen.

It is possible that either the doorbell or the powerkit has failed - if you are within the return window, I suggest exchanging it with the seller. The other option is to get an RMA from Arlo support. Exchanging is both faster and easier.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation